Z attach x, what is the name of this?

• Thread starter TylerH
  • Start date
In summary, the concept you are trying to remember is called a "field extension" and it involves attaching something to a set, such as "the integers attach √2" or Z(i). This verbal notation may not be common and is not mentioned on the Wikipedia page.
TylerH
I'm trying to reveiw the concepts of a proof class I took last summer, and there's one thing that's killing me. What is it called and what's the notation used when you "attach" something to a set. For example, my professor would define "the integers attach √2" as the set {a+b√2 : a, b in Z} or the complex numbers as "the real numbers attach i."

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
YES! Thank you.

Is the "attach" verbal notation common? It isn't mentioned on the Wikipedia page. How do you usually say Z(i)?

Related to Z attach x, what is the name of this?

1. What is "Z attach x" and what does it mean?

"Z attach x" is a term used in scientific research to refer to the attachment of a specific molecule or structure, denoted by "x", to a larger molecule called "Z". It is often used to describe a specific chemical reaction or interaction.

2. How is "Z attach x" different from other chemical reactions?

Unlike other chemical reactions, "Z attach x" specifically refers to the attachment of a specific molecule or structure to a larger molecule. This attachment is often targeted and intentional, rather than a random or spontaneous process.

3. Is "Z attach x" a common term in scientific research?

Yes, "Z attach x" is a commonly used term in scientific research, particularly in fields such as biochemistry and organic chemistry. It is often used to describe the specific mechanisms of chemical reactions and interactions.

4. What kind of molecules or structures can be attached using "Z attach x"?

"Z attach x" can refer to the attachment of various molecules or structures, including small molecules, peptides, proteins, nucleic acids, and more. The specific "x" molecule or structure can vary depending on the context of the research.

5. How is "Z attach x" relevant to current scientific research?

"Z attach x" is relevant to many areas of scientific research, particularly in understanding the mechanisms of chemical reactions and interactions. It is also used in the development of new drugs, materials, and technologies in various fields such as medicine, materials science, and nanotechnology.