The Fate of the Universe: Will the Big Rip or Big Crunch be its End?

• Thread starter Parsons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, there is a convergence of opinion among experts about the fate of the universe, with the latest results from the MAP indicating a flat model with runaway expansion, a Hubble parameter of 71 in usual units, and dark energy comprising 73 percent of density. This is based on observations from the MAP, HST, and Keck, which are revolutionizing cosmology. The fate of the universe is still uncertain, with different theories such as the Big Crunch, Big Rip, and continual cycles being proposed. Some experts believe that the expansion of the universe will continue to accelerate, eventually resulting in a Big Rip where everything will be torn apart by either dark matter or phantom energy (both of which are forms of dark energy). However,
Parsons
What do you think will happen to the Universe? How long will it be until it ends? or will it go on expanding for ever?

Space news on Phys.org
hello parsons, this year the big news about the fate of the universe seems to be the MAP (microwave anisotropy probe) results and there seems to be a convergence of opinion
around things like

flat
runaway expansion
hubbleparameter 71 in the usual units
darkenergy comprising some 73 percent of density (!)
darkmatter and ordinary matter some 27 percent

a good place to find out is at Ned Wright's cosmology tutorial site that also has an interesting cosmology FAQ
on the introductory page he has "news of the universe"
with a lot of the latest results, like MAP, which came out
in february of this year (!)

MAP is an incredibly elegant observer based at the L2 point
a million miles out from the Earth along the sun-earth line.
that way the Earth shields MAP from the light of the sun

this kind of thing together with HST and keck are just totally revolutionizing cosmology. when you say "Flat Model" do you mean flat with vacuum contributing 73 percent or zero percent? it seems to make a considerable difference.

I chose the Big Crunch. I have read reports of a "Great Attractor" that is causing galaxies to gather into one spot. I heard this from a 5 hour long Discovery Channel documentary on cosmic inflation.
And also, the static universe thing should kick in sometime!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Big Rip; c'mon dark energy!

Originally posted by Sensei
Why assume it will end? even in a big crunch... there may be repeat cyclings to the big bang again > big crunch > big bang > big crunch sequence.

If we lived long enough to witness the big crunch (if it happened) i wonder if we could survive by hiding temporarily in a fourth or fifth dimension...

hmm... too many questions, such little technology.

Yes, I have considered the cycle it will create. But you have to admit that there are several versions of cycles in this universe. Furthermore, the fifth demension+ will be effected too. After all, such a demension is a "curled" demension. As Stephen Hawking puts it: if you look at a single hair, it appears to be only 1D. But, when you magnify it, the single hair is composed of 3D molecules. It has demension, and the demension is viewed through a variable magnification.

Originally posted by Zefram
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Big Rip; c'mon dark energy!

Isn't the big rip the same as the big crunch?

No, the Big Rip is the result of the expansion of the universe continuing to accelerate until eventually everything in the universe is literally ripped apart. The exact opposite of the crunch.

SH says we'd need a particle accelerator(i think it was, if not, it must be an electronmicroscope) the size of this solar system in order to view these demensions. Do you think that's even feasible? could that be accomplised, the building of such an instrument?

Originally posted by Zefram
No, the Big Rip is the result of the expansion of the universe continuing to accelerate until eventually everything in the universe is literally ripped apart. The exact opposite of the crunch.

That doesn't make sense to me. Why do you believe it is tenable?

the dimensions, unlike the hair, may be subject to different laws than we are aware of at the moment.

Then the possibility exists that it might be very unhealthy to flee in them, don't you think?

Originally posted by MajinVegeta
That doesn't make sense to me. Why do you believe it is tenable?

Suppose the acceleration never ceases? I'm not saying it's necessarily the most likely end of it all but it's an interesting possibility.

But what will it tear ? I believe it is taking the space-time fabric anology too literally. I find it evidently untenable. Does the theory implie an open universe?

I enjoyed the article. But it didn't make me change my mind about the big rip.

The first explosion

Caldwell's study had humble beginnings. He and his colleagues, Marc Kamionkowski and Nevin Weinberg at Caltech, were considering how a sphere of matter collapses under its own weight to form a galaxy. In computer models, they tweaked with the dark energy factor and found that too much of it would actually prevent the sphere from collapsing. In extreme cases, the sphere exploded.

This sounds a lot like the Big Crunch to me.

Secondly, what rips the matter apart? The dark matter or the phantom energy (is the phantom energy, since the article related it with the cosmological constant)?

There really is no "end". The universe is in an continual cycle.

Yes, Turtle. The Big Crunch is in obvious favor of that.

Originally posted by MajinVegeta
I enjoyed the article. But it didn't make me change my mind about the big rip.

This sounds a lot like the Big Crunch to me.

Secondly, what rips the matter apart? The dark matter or the phantom energy (is the phantom energy, since the article related it with the cosmological constant)?

1. Not really. Instead, they started off theorising on the big crunch, but found that if they theorized that the dark energy (the thing that is apparently causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate, not to slow down) is increasing, we would rip matter apart.
Phantom energy kinda is dark energy, which is a suppose another way of saying cosmological constant.

1. What is the leading theory about the end of the Universe?

The leading theory about the end of the Universe is known as the "Big Freeze" or "Heat Death" theory. This theory suggests that as the Universe continues to expand, the energy and matter within it will become more dispersed and eventually reach a state of complete entropy, resulting in a cold, dark, and lifeless Universe.

2. Will the Universe end with a bang or a whimper?

The Universe will likely end with a whimper rather than a bang. This is because the "Big Freeze" theory predicts a gradual decline in energy and temperature, rather than a sudden and explosive event.

3. Is it possible for the Universe to collapse in on itself?

There is a theory called the "Big Crunch" theory, which suggests that the Universe could eventually collapse in on itself due to the force of gravity. However, recent observations and data suggest that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating, making a "Big Crunch" scenario unlikely.

4. How long do we have until the end of the Universe?

It is difficult to accurately predict when the Universe will end, as it depends on several factors such as the amount of dark energy and the rate of expansion. However, based on current estimates, it is expected that the Universe will continue to exist for at least another 100 trillion years.

5. Could there be other Universes beyond our own?

There are many theories about the existence of other universes, such as the multiverse theory. However, there is currently no concrete evidence to support the idea of other universes, and it remains a topic of ongoing scientific research and debate.