YSICS: Troubleshooting an Equation Plot Issue

In summary, the conversation revolves around a plot in which the thickness was adjusted, resulting in a strange appearance. The final image shows the expected plot, but the individual is unable to identify the difference between their equations and those in a referenced publication. They also note a possible typo in the publication's definition of C. They suggest trying ##2(n^2 - 1)(n^2 - s^2)## to see if it resolves the issue.
zhillyz
TL;DR Summary
Copied equations from paper into MATLAB and gave some test variables but output looks weird
Thickness1.png

First image showing script and plot
Thickness2.png

Second image where all I have done is slightly change the thickness and now the plot looks very weird.
Transmission.png

Final image showing the kind of plot I am expecting.

Am I just doing something stupid as I can't see what is wrong/different between my equations and the ones in the publication?
Here is the paper: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0022-3735/16/12/023/pdf
Any help of pointers would be appreciated.
PH

Attachments

• Thickness2.png
    Thickness2.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 286
Physics news on Phys.org
They clearly have a typo in their definition of C since there are two opening parenthesis, but only one closing. My guess is that it should be ##2(n^2 - 1)(n^2 - s^2)##. Try that and see if it fixes the problem.

Related to YSICS: Troubleshooting an Equation Plot Issue

1. What is the purpose of troubleshooting an equation plot issue in physics?

Troubleshooting an equation plot issue in physics is important because it allows scientists to accurately represent and analyze data, which is crucial in understanding and testing scientific theories. By identifying and addressing any issues with the equation plot, scientists can ensure the validity and reliability of their findings.

2. What are some common causes of equation plot issues in physics?

There are several potential causes of equation plot issues in physics, including errors in data input, incorrect equations or parameters, and technical issues with the software or equipment used to generate the plot. Other factors such as human error or external disturbances can also contribute to these issues.

3. How can I troubleshoot an equation plot issue in physics?

The first step in troubleshooting an equation plot issue is to carefully review the data and equations used to generate the plot. Check for any errors or inconsistencies and make sure all parameters are correctly entered. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to consult with colleagues or reference materials for assistance in identifying the problem.

4. How can I prevent equation plot issues in physics?

To prevent equation plot issues in physics, it is important to double-check all data and equations before generating the plot. Additionally, regularly calibrating and maintaining equipment can help prevent technical issues. Collaborating and seeking feedback from colleagues can also help identify and address potential issues before they arise.

5. Why is it important to address equation plot issues in physics promptly?

Addressing equation plot issues promptly is crucial because it can prevent inaccuracies and errors from impacting the validity of scientific findings. Ignoring or neglecting these issues can lead to incorrect interpretations and conclusions, which can ultimately hinder scientific progress and understanding.