Your thoughts on a proof of Matrix Operations

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the expression (A^{-1}B)^{-1}(C^{-1}A)^{-1}(B^{-1}C)^{-1} for n x n invertible matrices A, B, and C. The person asking the question discovered that the result is the identity matrix I_n when using specific (2x2) matrices, but is looking for a way to simplify it using matrix properties. The expert suggests proving the property (XY)^{-1}=Y^{-1}X^{-1} for non-singular n x n matrices X and Y, and then using this to simplify the expression. The person asking the question then asks about the validity of using the distributive and associative
Divergent13
Greetings!

I am asked to do the following:

Simplify [tex](A^{-1}B)^{-1}(C^{-1}A)^{-1}(B^{-1}C)^{-1}[/tex] for (n x n) invertible matrices A B and C.

You see, I was able to show that the result of this is simply the identity matrix [tex]I_n[/tex] by selecting 3 (2x2) matrices A B and C that were invertible, and just punched out the entire operation with them and ended up with the identity matrix I2... but clearly for an exam that would take way too long! How can I go about doing this using matrix properties? I am not sure how certain things cancel to get the Identity matrix...

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should first prove that [tex](XY)^{-1}=Y^{-1}X^{-1}[/tex], for any two non-singular ("invertible") n by n matrices X and Y. This is very easy, and when you've done it, the rest of your problem is also very easy.

So I understand that definition, and I obtain:

[tex](B^{-1}A)(A^{-1}C)(C^{-1}B)[/tex]

So I know that B^-1*B will yield the identity matrix, and the same identity matrices multipled by each other will be the same thing--- but in matrix mutliplication order is important--- so from here is it valid just to state this?

Would that qualify? I don't know if there's any "distributive" property i can use here.

What about associative?

Got It Thank You!

Related to Your thoughts on a proof of Matrix Operations

1. What is a proof of Matrix Operations?

A proof of Matrix Operations is a mathematical demonstration that shows the validity and correctness of the rules and properties used to manipulate matrices, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion.

2. Why is a proof of Matrix Operations important?

A proof of Matrix Operations is important because it provides a solid foundation for understanding and using matrix operations in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It also ensures the accuracy and reliability of calculations involving matrices.

3. How is a proof of Matrix Operations conducted?

A proof of Matrix Operations typically involves using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques, such as axioms, definitions, and theorems, to show that the properties and rules of matrix operations hold true for all matrices.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Matrix Operations?

Some common misconceptions about Matrix Operations include thinking that matrix multiplication is commutative (it is not), or assuming that matrices can be divided by other matrices (division of matrices is not defined).

5. How can one apply the knowledge from a proof of Matrix Operations?

The knowledge gained from a proof of Matrix Operations can be applied in various fields, such as solving systems of linear equations, analyzing data sets, and performing transformations in computer graphics. It can also help in understanding more advanced concepts, such as eigenvalues and eigenvectors.