Your Opinion On This Solar Cooker

In summary: Yes. A compact shape will reduce the heat loss and you get the advantage of the gathering power of a massive reflector.
Muhammad Syahril
First of all, even I did mentioned Solar Cooker, the main goal is to reach most temperature of 500ml of water in 30 minutes.

Basic information that I have is some material with different thermal conductivity. I seek for simple english language and a bit complex physics language. The idea of this design is using box (or any same priced material) as the outer or the case.

Next I'm attaching or making a contact of a metal with many fins (to increase surface area) with the box from the inside and finally the 'idk just an idea', making many folds of aluminium foil (or other same priced material) in the box with each end of box touched.

The water will be placed on a box's base sized plate (I'm thinking of a metal plate with a short wall on the sides). Refer to my nice (very very very ugly) image drawn (barely) by paint. Ugly but you can understand the concept.

Photo Labels : Black - Box , Aqua - Metal with fins (solid not empty) , Purple - Folded aluminium foil (touching metal on each side), Green - A Peaking area (can be open to place water and monitor temperature), and the Maroon - Metal plate to place water

Attachments

• explanation.png
    explanation.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 612
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but the drawing is completely unintelligible. Is this viewed from the side? The Top? Where is the sunlight coming from, and what is it reflected onto? There are probably designs for solar cookers on line, I suggest you google them.

Likes davenn
I can see what he means. The pipes are all illuminated by the sun. Spreading the water over a large area will pick up more power.
A rule of thumb is that a maximum of about 1kW falls on a Square metre of surface and that should give a clue about the area that your 500ml of water needs to cover (given the time requirement). There'll be losses, of course, if you are using such a lot of piping - partly because the pipes need also to be warmed and also, the large area will radiate (lose) an appreciable amount of IR. Using a parabolic reflector system, the losses will be less as the heated volume can be kept in a smaller space. Most solar ovens use a reflector system and can reach extremely high temperatures.
The Optics don't need to be too special as it's not actually necessary to focus the heat onto a single spot - just the 500ml container. A reflector can be made easily with papier mache´and covered with kitchen foil. You don't want wrinkles so you need to cut out thin strips which can be stuck down and still stay optically flat enough (shiny). I did this once, with an old satellite (0.5m dish) and could boil a small blackened tin of water in full sun very quickly. (No numbers, I'm afraid)

Last edited:
Algr said:
I'm sorry, but the drawing is completely unintelligible. Is this viewed from the side? The Top? Where is the sunlight coming from, and what is it reflected onto? There are probably designs for solar cookers on line, I suggest you google them.
Sorry for lack of information, its is from the top view.

So to sum it up, it is better to use direct sunlight, as in parabolic reflector it will focus in giving direct sunlight towards an desired area. So my idea of 'keeping the heat' is basically bad due to loosing of heat, am I correct?

Muhammad Syahril said:
So my idea of 'keeping the heat' is basically bad due to loosing of heat, am I correct?
Yes. A compact shape will reduce the heat loss and you get the advantage of the gathering power of a massive reflector.
You really must do some calculations or you don't know what size your reflector needs to be. Are you ok with that?

Related to Your Opinion On This Solar Cooker

1. How does a solar cooker work?

A solar cooker works by using the sun's energy to heat up a cooking vessel, which then cooks the food inside. It typically consists of a reflective surface, such as a mirror or foil, that directs sunlight into a box or container where the food is placed. The sun's rays are converted to heat energy, which is then trapped inside the container, cooking the food.

2. Is a solar cooker an effective way to cook food?

Yes, a solar cooker can be a very effective way to cook food. It is a sustainable and environmentally friendly option, as it uses renewable energy and does not produce any emissions. It can also save money on fuel costs and is a great alternative for areas with limited access to electricity or gas. However, the effectiveness of a solar cooker may depend on factors such as location, weather conditions, and the type of food being cooked.

3. Can a solar cooker be used in any climate?

Solar cookers can be used in most climates, as long as there is enough sunlight to generate heat. However, they may not be as efficient in colder or cloudier regions. Some solar cookers also have the ability to store heat, allowing them to be used even on cloudy days.

4. What are the benefits of using a solar cooker?

There are numerous benefits to using a solar cooker. It is an eco-friendly option that reduces carbon emissions and deforestation caused by traditional cooking methods. It also eliminates the need for fuel, saving money and reducing the risk of respiratory illnesses associated with indoor air pollution. Additionally, solar cookers are portable and easy to use, making them a great option for outdoor activities or emergencies.

5. Are there any limitations to using a solar cooker?

While solar cookers have many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. They may not be suitable for cooking large quantities of food at once, and the cooking time may be longer compared to traditional methods. Additionally, they may not be as effective on days with limited sunlight or in areas with heavy cloud cover. It is important to also consider the initial cost of purchasing a solar cooker, although it can save money in the long run.