Young's Double-Slit Experiment

In summary, the blurry effect observed in the double slit experiment could be a result of the pattern becoming blurred when an observer comes close to it. The intensity of the fringe pattern is unclear, as it may be either well defined or sinusoidal-like.
jackiepollock
Homework Statement
In the young double-slit experiment I have performed in lab today, I was to point the laser light through the double slits and observe the pattern formed on the screen. An interesting observation I found is that each time when my body come close to the pattern, it gets blurry. It changes from a clear pattern showing individual fringes to a hazy look in which the edges of fringes get blurred out. I tried it couple of times and it happens 6/10 times.
Relevant Equations
What might be the possible reasons for this blurry effect? Does the act of human bodies coming near the pattern affect the forming of the pattern?
As I searched online an answer suggested that the blurry effect might be a speckle pattern. However, it still hasn't explained the reason why when my body come near the pattern gets blurry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could your footsteps on the floor, or the small wind created by your movement, have been making micro-movements in the apparatus?

Air movement from your movement or body heat? Especially if there are temperature differences within the room.

Hello @jackiepollock,

Welcome to PF! :welcome:

jackiepollock said:
Homework Statement:: In the young double-slit experiment I have performed in lab today, I was to point the laser light through the double slits and observe the pattern formed on the screen. An interesting observation I found is that each time when my body come close to the pattern, it gets blurry. It changes from a clear pattern showing individual fringes to a hazy look in which the edges of fringes get blurred out. I tried it couple of times and it happens 6/10 times.
Relevant Equations:: What might be the possible reasons for this blurry effect? Does the act of human bodies coming near the pattern affect the forming of the pattern?

As I searched online an answer suggested that the blurry effect might be a speckle pattern. However, it still hasn't explained the reason why when my body come near the pattern gets blurry.

Could it be that the fringe pattern was always blurry and that the individual fringes only appeared to be well defined when viewed from a distance -- similar to the way that it's difficult to tell that a blurry photograph is blurry if viewed from a distance?

What does that the mathematics say about the intensity of the fringe pattern? Does the math say that the individual fringes be well defined, or does the math show that the intensity pattern should be more sinusoidal-like?

Likes Tom.G
It is interesting experiment. I am looking forward to see the results of it. Thanks

Related to Young's Double-Slit Experiment

What is Young's Double-Slit Experiment?

Young's Double-Slit Experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

Who conducted the Young's Double-Slit Experiment?

The experiment was conducted by Thomas Young in the early 1800s. He was an English scientist and physician who made significant contributions to the fields of optics and mechanics.

What is the purpose of Young's Double-Slit Experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like nature of light and to show how light waves interfere with each other to create an interference pattern. This experiment also helped to support the wave theory of light, which was in contrast to the previously accepted particle theory.

What is the setup of Young's Double-Slit Experiment?

The setup of the experiment involves a light source, two parallel slits, and a screen. The light source is placed in front of the slits, and the screen is placed behind the slits. The slits are very close together, and the screen is placed far enough away to observe the interference pattern.

What is the significance of Young's Double-Slit Experiment?

The significance of the experiment is that it provided evidence for the wave theory of light and helped to further our understanding of the nature of light. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of wave optics and the creation of diffraction gratings used in various technologies.