Young's double slit experiment - Independent and dependant variables?

In summary, the person is seeking help with identifying the independent and dependent variables for their youngs double slit experiment to find the wavelength of a light source. They mention that the wavelength and fringe separation are most likely the independent and dependent variables, but are unsure about the controlled variables. The conversation then continues with a discussion about the formula used for the experiment and the different ways to manipulate and measure the variables to obtain a valid formula.
nousername

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,

I am doing youngs double slit experiment to find the wavelength of a light source but i am having a lot of trouble finding the independent and dependent variables. Can people suggest what they could be? Thanks. Also, some controlled variables would be helpful aswell.

Homework Equations

I use d sin (theta) = m * lamda

The Attempt at a Solution

We measured the fringe separation to calculate the wavelength, so i said it might be:

independent: wavelength of light

dependant: fringe separation

Controlled: NOW I AM CONFUSED. You see, its supposed to be that the wavelength is constant, and hence the fringe separation is constant. I don't know. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is an interesting experiment. I see you measured the fringe separation (usually labeled x or y), so you need a formula with x or y in it. Take a look at this formula derivation:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/slits.html#c1
and be sure you understand all the variables in the formula
y = mλD/d
This is often written x = nλL/d,
but this particular website uses y for the distance from the center to the fringes instead of x, and D for the distance between slits and screen instead of L.
Next, you will want to solve the formula for λ.
If you know all the other values, you can immediately calculate λ.

The independent, dependent and controlled variables come into play when you make an experiment out of this and vary something, hold other things constant, and see what the effect is on another quantity. Say you keep the wavelength, distance between slits and distance to the screen constant (controlled). You vary the fringe number (m is the independent variable) and measure the distance y from the center to each fringe (y is the dependent or responding variable). Then you will have a table of values for m and y. If you graph y versus m, you will have something interesting. If it is a straight line, you can write a formula for it and compare with the theoretical y = mλD/d which has the form
y = km (where k is the slope). If your graph's slope is the same as λD/d (to within experimental accuracy), then you have shown that the formula has some validity.

Of course there are several other experiments you could do. For example, vary the distance to the screen while holding λ, d and m constant and see how y responds to that. In this case D is the manipulated or independent variable, while y is the responding or dependent variable.

It is even more fun if you don't know the formula in advance! Then you can figure out the formula by varying one quantity at a time.

Related to Young's double slit experiment - Independent and dependant variables?

1. What is the independent variable in Young's double slit experiment?

The independent variable in Young's double slit experiment is the distance between the two slits.

2. What is the dependent variable in Young's double slit experiment?

The dependent variable in Young's double slit experiment is the interference pattern observed on the screen.

3. How does changing the independent variable affect the results of the experiment?

Changing the independent variable, which is the distance between the two slits, affects the interference pattern observed on the screen. As the distance increases, the interference pattern becomes more spread out, while a smaller distance leads to a more concentrated pattern.

4. Is the independent variable directly or indirectly related to the dependent variable in Young's double slit experiment?

The independent variable, which is the distance between the two slits, is directly related to the dependent variable, the interference pattern observed on the screen. This means that as the distance changes, the interference pattern will also change.

5. Can other variables affect the results of Young's double slit experiment?

Yes, there are other variables that can affect the results of Young's double slit experiment. These include the wavelength of the light used, the size of the slits, and any external factors that may cause disturbance or interference in the experiment.