Young researchers conference

In summary, there will be a five-day conference at Perimeter Institute starting on December 4th, with a focus on topics such as cosmology, quantum gravity, strings, and quantum information. The conference is specifically aimed at young researchers, with the schedule and list of participants yet to be published. The diversity of topics is intentional, in contrast to other conferences that tend to have a majority field. This idea of a conference for young researchers was inspired by a similar event organized by Bill Press in 1975.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
five days at Perimeter, the week starting 4 december.
two cosmology sessions
two QG sessions
two string sessions
two on quantum information
one on quantum foundations

young researchers only. sounds like a good idea to me. what do you think?
Laurent Freidel is one of the organizers. I guess it will be largely postdocs and PhD students doing thesis

here is the schedule:
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/en/Events/Young_Researchers_Conference/Schedule/

the list of participants has not been published, when it is available it will be here:

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/en/Events/Young_Researchers_Conference/Confirmed_Participants/

It seems like a smart thing to put those topics together so it is not for example exclusively string (QG conferences normally invite string people to get some variety but it doesn't usually work the other way around---in this case the diversity is explicit, there isn't even a majority field)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does young mean?

This reminds me of something I read about in Thorne's book - a 1975 conference on black holes, organized by Bill Press, to which only people under the age of thirty were invited.

Saul Teukolsky said:
The conference was Bill's response to what he considered a provocation. There was another conference going on, to which none of us had been invited. But all the gray eminences were attending, so Bill decided to have a conference only for young people.

I think this young researchers conference is a fantastic opportunity for the next generation of scientists to gather and exchange ideas in the fields of cosmology, quantum gravity, string theory, and quantum information. It is great to see that the conference is specifically geared towards young researchers, as it allows them to network and learn from each other in a supportive environment.

I am particularly interested in the two sessions on cosmology, as it is a rapidly advancing field with many exciting developments. The two sessions on quantum gravity and string theory also sound intriguing, as these are fundamental theories that have the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe.

I am also glad to see that there will be a session on quantum information, as it is an emerging field with many applications in quantum computing and cryptography. And the session on quantum foundations is also important, as it will delve into the philosophical and conceptual implications of quantum mechanics.

I believe that having Laurent Freidel as one of the organizers is a great choice, as he is a highly respected and accomplished scientist in the field of quantum gravity. I am excited to see the list of participants once it is available, as I am sure it will be a diverse and talented group of postdocs and PhD students.

Overall, I think this conference is a great idea and I am sure it will be a valuable and enriching experience for all the young researchers attending. I look forward to hearing about the discussions and ideas that come out of this conference.

Related to Young researchers conference

1. What is a Young Researchers Conference?

A Young Researchers Conference is a gathering of young scientists, typically undergraduate or graduate students, who present their research findings to a larger audience. It is an opportunity for young researchers to gain experience in presenting their work and receive feedback from peers and professionals in their field.

2. How can I participate in a Young Researchers Conference?

To participate in a Young Researchers Conference, you will need to submit an abstract of your research to the conference organizers. If your abstract is accepted, you will be invited to present your work at the conference. Some conferences also offer the option to attend as an audience member.

3. What are the benefits of attending a Young Researchers Conference?

Attending a Young Researchers Conference can provide many benefits, including the opportunity to network with other young scientists, receive feedback on your research, and gain experience in presenting your work. It can also help you stay updated on the latest research in your field and potentially lead to future collaborations or job opportunities.

4. Can I publish my research in a Young Researchers Conference?

Many Young Researchers Conferences offer the opportunity to publish your research in conference proceedings or a special issue of a scientific journal. However, this is not always guaranteed and may depend on the quality and relevance of your research. It is best to check with the conference organizers for more information.

5. How can I prepare for a Young Researchers Conference?

To prepare for a Young Researchers Conference, you should start by thoroughly researching the conference and its theme. This will help you tailor your abstract and presentation to fit the conference. You should also practice your presentation and be prepared to answer questions from the audience. Finally, make sure to dress professionally and bring plenty of business cards or contact information to network with other attendees.