You heard about "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch"

• Thread starter Lord of plasma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, the article describes a device that is supposed to be able to produce fusion energy. The article also mentions that the device needs megaamperes of current and that it is difficult to scale up the device.
Lord of plasma
TL;DR Summary
The very neat and simple form of nuclear fusion power, that has shown to be difficult to work a team of Washington University has made great progress with.
I couldn't find any threads about this experiment on this forum, so here I try to introduce it and also I later have som suggestion to improve it.

Very shortly the machine produce a ring formed sheet along a rod, which climbs up and at the end of the rod it stretch out and compress to a thin thread. A so called Z-pinch. Here is where the interesting things happened. The thread compresses and heat even more and fusion start. Unlike many other Z pinch devices this gives a stable thread for som time. Some time is tens of microseconds. Yep that is long when it comes to fusion of the more high density kind.

The article Sheared flow Z-pinch shows that the speed is different at different radies and that is what stops the thread to kink or sausage for some time. It's a pulsating kind of device.

They have been working on this over 10 years and recently they have achieved fusion and of course then high temperatures and high density in the plasma. It's seems very promising and I so much like the simplicity of the device. Then you need MA current, several kV and other quite challenging features, but still not impossible.

What do you know about it or want to comment on it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't trust extrapolations over 7 orders of magnitude. But assuming this works and nothing unexpected shows up: How much energy do they hope to get per shot, and how many shots per second of an inherently destructive process could a reactor do?

The Z machine had megaamperes 20 years ago and runs at tens of MA now. What is so different that limits their current to 50-200 kA?

I havn't yet found fact about how much energy they need in every shot and what frequency they need. Espacially the last thing I don't think they even bother because they just want to prove the concept. Scaling up Sheared flow Z-pinch tells about how much current they need wit D-T fuel and now they using deuterium and that is a big difference. 1,5 MA is what a commercial power plant need according to them.

I think the most important reason why they need less current, is that they have much longer pulses. If I remember correct the pulse in the Sandiego Z-machine is just some tens of nanoseconds. So differens are several hundred times if not more. n*T*tau describes something what it take to make fusion. Quiet simply more of one of them makes it less necessary to have so much of the other two. Of course there are some absolute limits of temperature.

Likes mfb
I wonder if you can do the same thing (as sheared flow stabilezed-Z pinch by W.U) with different potential, namely different speed along the radii, se attached pic. That would be even simplier and maybe the pinch can be constant more or less.

Sorry for last confusing replay. I had to make a change a thing and couldn't take it back.

As I begun last time I wonder if you can do the same thing (as sheared flow stabilezed-Z pinch by W.U) with different potential, namely different speed along the radii, se attached pic. The idea is that ions that travel from potential +2U has higher speed then ions from potential +U. And thereby you can achieve a stable pinch more or less constant. The electric field is the same for the ions, but not the speed at the end.

Attachments

• ny ritning sheared flow.jpg
    ny ritning sheared flow.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 243

Related to You heard about "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch"

1. What is "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch"?

"The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch" is a type of plasma confinement technique used in fusion research. It involves using a combination of magnetic fields and plasma flow to stabilize a cylindrical plasma column, allowing for longer and more stable plasma confinement.

2. How does "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch" work?

In "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch", a plasma column is created and confined using a combination of magnetic fields and plasma flow. The plasma flow is directed in a sheared manner, meaning it has different velocities at different points along the plasma column. This sheared flow creates a magnetic field that counteracts the inward force of the Z-pinch, stabilizing the plasma and preventing it from collapsing.

3. What are the potential applications of "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch"?

"The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch" has potential applications in fusion energy research, as it allows for longer and more stable plasma confinement. It could also be used in other areas of plasma physics research, such as studying high-energy density plasmas.

4. How does "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch" differ from other plasma confinement techniques?

Unlike other plasma confinement techniques, "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch" does not require external heating or additional energy input to sustain the plasma. It relies on the sheared flow of the plasma itself to stabilize the plasma column. This makes it a more efficient and potentially more cost-effective method of plasma confinement.

5. What are the challenges facing the development of "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch"?

One of the main challenges facing the development of "The Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch" is achieving and maintaining the necessary plasma flow and magnetic field configurations. This requires precise control and understanding of the plasma and its behavior. Additionally, there are technical challenges in designing and building the necessary equipment for this type of plasma confinement.