Introduction to Standard Model: presentation(s) requested

In summary, a chemist is looking for a good, Powerpoint presentation on the Standard Model to use as a basis for their own talk. A good place to start is www.particleadventure.org.
suyver
Hi all,

I have been asked to give an informal presentation on the Standard Model to some chemists (note that this is not really my field of expertise ). I was wondering if there are some good (powerpoint) presentations out there that I could use to base mine on. That would save me a lot of time... Any help will be appreciated greatly.

Sort of stuff that I want to talk about:
- Very brief history
- quarks & leptons: charge, mass, spin, ...
- force carriers: charge, mass, spin, ...
- color charge
- Feynman diagrams
- Higgs mechanism (celebrity at a party-model)
- Free quarks / gluons are prohibited.
- nice experimental verifications: (g-2)/2, linewidth of the Z0, ... (?)
- Very brief outlook to the future (Higgs boson, supersym., 11-D and so on)

I hope that you have some suggestions of places for me to steal some nice figures from... :wink:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We don't condone plagiarism here. If you're going to "steal" things, be intellectually honest and provide the proper credits for that material.

A good place to start would be www.particleadventure.org.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
We don't condone plagiarism here. If you're going to "steal" things, be intellectually honest and provide the proper credits for that material.

To me that goes without saying. Naturally I would list proper credits!

I thought that if I were to use a few figures from someone's presentation that he/she posted on his/her website and list credits accordingly in my talk that this would be ok. Would you consider this plagiarism? If so, then I will certainly make all my own graphs. However, I see many figures (also at conferences) that appear to be recycled / copied from somewhere else, sometimes with and sometimes without references. Therefore, I didn't think there was something wrong with this.

Anyway, thanks for the link! Looks like a very well set up site with lots of cool graphs and information.

Cheers!

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in physics that describes the fundamental building blocks of matter and how they interact through three of the four known forces in the universe: electromagnetic, strong, and weak interactions. It is the most widely accepted and successful model for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. Why is the Standard Model important?

The Standard Model is important because it provides a framework for understanding the fundamental particles that make up our universe and how they interact. It has been extensively tested and has successfully predicted the results of many experiments, making it a crucial tool for scientists in their quest to understand the fundamental laws of nature.

3. How was the Standard Model developed?

The Standard Model was developed through a collaborative effort by many physicists over several decades. The first version of the model was proposed in the 1960s and has since been refined and expanded upon as new experimental evidence and theories have emerged. It is constantly being tested and updated as our understanding of the universe evolves.

4. What are the main components of the Standard Model?

The Standard Model consists of six types of quarks, six types of leptons, and four fundamental forces. Quarks are the building blocks of protons and neutrons, while leptons include particles such as electrons and neutrinos. The four fundamental forces are the strong force, the weak force, the electromagnetic force, and the gravitational force (which is not fully incorporated into the Standard Model).

5. What are some of the current challenges or limitations of the Standard Model?

While the Standard Model has been incredibly successful in explaining and predicting many phenomena, it has some limitations. It does not include a theory of gravity, and it does not explain dark matter or dark energy, which are believed to make up a large portion of the universe. Additionally, it does not account for certain observations, such as the unequal amounts of matter and antimatter in the universe. These challenges have led scientists to continue searching for a more complete theory that can better explain the mysteries of the universe.