Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

You can now submit problems for our POTW!

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

To make the POTW more interactive for our members, we decided that it would be great to have our members submit problems they think would make a good POTW.

At the top of the forum page, you will find a tab that says "POTW Form". When you fill out the form, you need to select the level of difficulty of your problem (if you're not sure, there's an option for that too), state the problem and also provide it's solution. I, along with a few other staff members, will then select the POTW (for each category) from the pool of submissions. If we pick your submitted problem, you will be credited for it in the post we make in the POTW subforums.

I look forward to seeing your submissions! If you have any questions about the process, feel free to ask them here!

Last edited:

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

To make the POTW more interactive for our members, we decided that it would be great to have our members submit problems they think would make a good POTW.

At the top of the forum page, you will find a tab that says "POTW Form". When you fill out the form, you need to select the level of difficulty of your problem (if you're not sure, there's an option for that too), state the problem and also provide it's solution. I, along with a few other staff members, will then select the POTW (for each category) from the pool of submissions. If we pick your submitted problem, you will be credited for it in the post we make in the POTW subforums.

I look forward to seeing your submissions! If you have any questions about the process, feel free to ask them here!

Who can view the candidate POTW submissions?

CB

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Who can view the candidate POTW submissions?

CB
Mods and Admins. We thought that some of the helpers would want a crack at some of the POTWs, so we didn't want to spoil it for them.

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
what do you mean by POTW, is it a hard questions ?

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
what do you mean by POTW, is it a hard questions ?
POTW stands for Problem Of The Week. They're meant to be challenging problems (not something overly difficult, though). The difficulty should be at the (1) Secondary School / High School level, or (2) University/Undergraduate level. These problems can be set up in a way that a "trick" (or two) is necessary to solve them.

In short, it should be more challenging/difficult than what they're used to, yet it should be doable with enough effort.

Does this clarify things a little? I mean, we're still in the process of finalizing how things should be, so any input into how difficult these problems should be would be welcome!

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
it is clear now, nice idea.

Krizalid

Feb 9, 2012
Mods and Admins. We thought that some of the helpers would want a crack at some of the POTWs, so we didn't want to spoil it for them.
Oh, if these lines didn't have the word "Helper," I would be feeling utterly useless. :(

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Can we submit open-ended problems?

Krizalid

Feb 9, 2012

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I just saw I misread your message, sorry!
No worries. What he meant was that the Admins and perhaps Mods will take part in picking the questions so most of the site can attempt the problems if they want, including the Helpers. When someone submits a possible question we see the problem and the solution so it's more honest if less people see all the solutions. We will be starting either this upcoming Monday or the next. We'll decide and make an announcement soon. I'm really excited to get this going!

Last edited:

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Can we submit open-ended problems?
You mean problems that don't have a right answer per se?? I don't know if that would really fall into what we had in mind for the POTW. I mean, they would be interesting problems...but I'm not sure it would really fit into our theme for the POTW...

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
You mean problems that don't have a right answer per se?? I don't know if that would really fall into what we had in mind for the POTW. I mean, they would be interesting problems...but I'm not sure it would really fit into our theme for the POTW...
Why don't we try one (I have one I could submit) and see how it goes? If it works out, it'll enrich the site. If it doesn't work out, we'll know not to do them any more :)

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Why don't we try one (I have one I could submit) and see how it goes? If it works out, it'll enrich the site. If it doesn't work out, we'll know not to do them any more :)
At the moment we are trying to stimulate interest in the site, anything that might put people off (exempting our policies on cheating etc) should be avoided.

CB

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
At the moment we are trying to stimulate interest in the site, anything that might put people off (exempting our policies on cheating etc) should be avoided.

CB
What a ridiculous statement. An open ended problem this is within reach is sure to generate more interest than many of the unbelievably difficult challenge problems that are usually posted on this site (which, by the way, is perfectly clear are only being posted for a particular sample of the people who post on this site).

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
What a ridiculous statement. An open ended problem this is within reach is sure to generate more interest than many of the unbelievably difficult challenge problems that are usually posted on this site (which, by the way, is perfectly clear are only being posted for a particular sample of the people who post on this site).
If you don't like the challenge problems submitted then, you know what you can do; submit some yourself!

CB

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
If you don't like the challenge problems submitted then, you know what you can do; submit some yourself!

CB
This conversation is going around in circles. I just said I had a problem I'd like to submit, which was immediately shut down because it doesn't fit in with the so-called vision, and when I rebutted I'm told if I don't like it I should submit a problem...

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
This conversation is going around in circles. I just said I had a problem I'd like to submit, which was immediately shut down because it doesn't fit in with the so-called vision, and when I rebutted I'm told if I don't like it I should submit a problem...
You can submit whatever you like to the challenges and puzzles area, you don't need approval. If you want to submit something to the the MHB POTW then it will have to go into the pot and be selected on its merits and/or the preferences of those who make the final choice (and that won't be me).

The remark about posting your own was in reference to what you said about what has been posted in the challenge problems area.

CB

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi Prove It,

I don't want to try to stir up a heated moment in the past, but I would like to ask you how you feel now that some time has passed about the POTW being only meant for a small group of people, most likely more "elite" mathematicians? I write the high school level problem every week and I try to at the very least have a problem that most people could understand even if they couldn't solve. Feedback is always useful and I would like to hear your thoughts on my problems or the POTW tradition here in general.

Glancing through this thread, it's a pity that I didn't see this while it was being written because I would have told you that you are more than welcome to submit a problem for consideration. A few others have done so as well and I've read every one, although only picked 1-2 in the end as they were all too challenging. To me it doesn't look like CB was telling you not to submit a question but that it would be a strange idea in this context, but that could be due to we didn't get to hear what you meant really by "open ended". The only thing I can imagine is a problem without a numerical solution or proof, but something like a riddle. If you're still open to it, please submit a problem like you were thinking of :)

Lastly, I want to repeat that a major goal of this site (at least for me) is to be a medium for conversation among anyone who is interested in some form of math and wants to discuss it with like minds respectfully. Your opinion matters and when you have a problem here we want you to let us know. I can't promise you'll always like the results, but I promise we will listen and consider anything you say seriously.

Jameson

P.S. It's a bummer we haven't seen you around but glad you are back. If you have complaints about anything related to MHB you are encouraged to let us know so we can try to fix it for you and others in the future. For example, in response to another member's complaint I changed the template of our warning messages to not sound so rude. In your case, I'm bumping a dead thread that makes us look kind of bad because I'm hoping you'll stay around. If we wanted to be like other math sites then we wouldn't be working on a new one from scratch I assure you. :)