You can be on a do not call list, but that doesn't stop some intrusions.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, two white-haired gentlemen stopped by my house, knocking on my front door. I knew who they were, and didn't answer. I have repeatedly asked for the last 30+ years or so that the Jehovah's Witnesses please leave us alone. It seems pointless, because they keep coming around. I gladly respect their religious preference, but I surely despise their disrespect for mine. BTW, they drove up my nearest neighbors' driveway, just to annoy another family. I have a couple of JW adherents that I consider friends, but they give me my space and I don't judge them for their beliefs. I had enough of that when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's and got put down because
turbo
Gold Member
Today, two white-haired gentlemen stopped by, knocking on my front door. I knew who they were, and didn't answer. I have repeatedly asked for the last 30+ years or so that the Jehovah's Witnesses please leave us alone. It seems pointless, because they keep coming around.

I gladly respect their religious preference, but I surely despise their disrespect for mine.

BTW, they drove up my nearest neighbors' driveway, just to annoy another family. I have a couple of JW adherents that I consider friends, but they give me my space and I don't judge them for their beliefs. I had enough of that when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's and got put down because I was being raised as a Roman Catholic. I rebelled in my early teens and refused to attend catechism or mass.

At some point, we all have to make our own choices.

Physics news on Phys.org
My fiancé had the best comeback for a couple of these guys who rang her doorbell. She opened the door, saw who they were, snapped "We're jewish!" and slammed the door. They didn't come back.:biggrin:

But honestly, I totally understand your frustration. Your home is something private, when someone rings your doorbell you want it to be someone you know, not a stranger. And certainly you don't want to explain for the umpteenth time that you are not interested.

kloptok said:
But honestly, I totally understand your frustration. Your home is something private, when someone rings your doorbell you want it to be someone you know, not a stranger. And certainly you don't want to explain for the umpteenth time that you are not interested.
Thanks. If you have a sign near your front door requesting No Solicitations, that doesn't stop these people. I don't want to have to deal with them. Their behavior borders on harassment, at times. I don't want to invite them in for a "talk", nor do I want their literature. How many times must you say NO?

A couple suggestions for a sign.

510qW-7C6BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

12399.jpg

OK, but I have a big dog (harmless as he is) and I own handguns. I'm not willing to give some prosecutor ammunition to use at me if some home-invasion type crime goes wrong. This little state has a horrible record WRT prescription drug abuse and addicts have been engaging in home-invasions and burglary at an increasing rate.

turbo said:
OK, but I have a big dog (harmless as he is) and I own handguns. I'm not willing to give some prosecutor ammunition to use at me if some home-invasion type crime goes wrong. This little state has a horrible record WRT prescription drug abuse and addicts have been engaging in home-invasions and burglary at an increasing rate.

I have a Persian friend who’s solution was pretty simple. He was sufficiently demeaning in his treatment of them, their beliefs, and intrusions on his time, they never came back. Do unto others...

Kirby vacuum salespeople too, twice they've shown up, use some excuse to speak with you, and then are there for 3 hours demoing their vacuum that costs $2,500.

Once the person was here until after 9:00pm, and after I told them I had a long day and an early morning.

turbo said:
Well then, this sign combination might work. :biggrin:

Drug-Free-Area-Sign-K-1075.gif

12399.jpg

I'm here almost all the time, so we haven't been hit, but there have been enough burglaries in area to make me keep security as an important priority. One guy (I know his step-mother) has managed to get a 'scrip for oxycodone for some (fictional) pain issue. He sells those painkillers in order to pay for his meth habit. I would never let him into my house for any reason. He'd just be casing the joint.

Maine's violent-crime rate is quite low, but the potential for violence is quite high when people commit burglaries and home-invasions and get interrupted in the process. The creeps aren't just looking for drugs or money, but everything they can pawn or sell to support their habits.

1. How do I add my number to the do not call list?

To add your number to the national do not call list, you can visit the Federal Trade Commission's website or call their toll-free number. You will need to provide your phone number and email address to register.

2. Will being on the do not call list stop all unwanted calls?

No, being on the do not call list does not guarantee that you will not receive any unwanted calls. Some organizations, such as charities, political organizations, and survey companies, are exempt from the do not call rules.

3. How long does it take for the do not call list to take effect?

It may take up to 31 days for your number to be removed from telemarketing lists and for the do not call list to take effect. If you continue to receive unwanted calls after this time, you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

4. Can I remove my number from the do not call list?

Yes, you can remove your number from the do not call list at any time by visiting the Federal Trade Commission's website or calling their toll-free number. However, by doing so, you may start receiving unwanted telemarketing calls again.

5. Are there any other ways to stop unwanted calls besides being on the do not call list?

Yes, there are other ways to reduce unwanted calls, such as using call blocking apps or services, registering with the National Do Not Call Registry for your state, and being cautious about giving out your phone number. You can also report unwanted calls to the Federal Trade Commission.

Back