You are traveling on a straight road with constant velocity

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating velocity and displacement based on position measurements at the beginning and end of a 10 second interval. The velocity at t = 3.45 sec and t = 6.9 sec was determined to be 88.5 meters per second east. The area under the entire V-t graph was calculated to be 885 meters, representing the displacement of the car. The question of whether the answers were correct was also addressed, with confirmation that they were. It was noted that there was a typo in the conversion from feet to meters, and the acceleration of the car was not taken into account as it was assumed to be traveling at a constant velocity.
Tonia

Homework Statement

At the beginning of a 10 sec. interval your position is measured to be 80 ft East with respect to a reference object. At the end of the 10 sec. interval your position is measured to be 965 ft East with respect to the same reference object.
Determine your velocity at t = 3.45 sec.
Determine your velocity at t = 6.9 sec.
Calculate the area under the entire V-t graph. What does this area respresent?

Homework Equations

m(slope) = v = change in x divided by change in t = Xf - Xo/tf - to =
965ft - 80ft/10 sec- 0sec = 885ft/10sec = 88.5met/sec. East

The Attempt at a Solution

Area = Vot = 10 sec times 88.5 met/sec = 885 meters This represents the displacement of the car.
The velocity of the car at t = 3.45 sec and at t = 6.9 sec is 88.5 met/sec.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume your question is whether or not you got the right answers, yes? It's always a good idea to state your question, even if it seems obvious to you.

It looks good to me.

Tonia said:
885ft/10sec = 88.5met/sec. East
I did not understand this ft-meter transformation

Yes, I just wanted to make sure I did it right. Thanks.

It was a typo I made.

RyanH42 said:
I did not understand this ft-meter transformation
Good catch. Probably just a typo but I breezed right past it.

I have a question.Why we ignore acceleration of car.Maybe car is accelerating ?

RyanH42 said:
I have a question.Why we ignore acceleration of car.Maybe car is accelerating ?
The car is not accelerating, it's going at a constant velocity of 88.5 met/sec.

Read the thread title.

Likes RyanH42
vela said:
Read the thread title.
Ooppsss Sorry

Related to You are traveling on a straight road with constant velocity

1. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is the motion of an object at a constant speed and in a straight line. This means that the object is not accelerating or decelerating, and its speed and direction do not change.

2. How is constant velocity different from average velocity?

Constant velocity refers to the instantaneous velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the overall displacement of an object over a given time period. Constant velocity means the object's speed and direction are consistent, while average velocity can vary depending on the object's changes in speed or direction.

3. Can an object have constant velocity and still be accelerating?

No, an object cannot have constant velocity and still be accelerating. Acceleration is defined as a change in velocity, so if an object has a constant velocity, it is not accelerating.

4. How is constant velocity related to Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that if an object is traveling at a constant velocity, there are no external forces acting on it to change its speed or direction.

5. What are some real-world examples of constant velocity?

Some examples of constant velocity in everyday life include a car driving on a straight highway at a constant speed, a satellite orbiting the Earth at a constant speed, or a roller coaster moving at a constant speed on a straight track.