Yes, your equations are correct.

• Thread starter hola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the first reaction does not have a net ionic equation because sulfur trioxide and carbon dioxide do not react in solution. The second reaction produces a precipitate of strontium sulfate and sodium chloride in solution. The net ionic equation for the third reaction is the formation of water from the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide.
hola
I need to include net ionic eq, phase symbols, etc.
1. Sulfur trioxide is heated with carbon dioxide.
2. A solution of strontium chloride is mixed with a solution of sodium sulfate.
3. Hydrochloric acid is added to sodium hydroxide

My work:
1. SO3(g)+H2O(l)---->H2SO4(aq)
2. Sr^{2+}(aq)+SO4^{2-}------> SrSO4(s)
3. HCl(aq)+NaOH(aq)------->H2O(l)+NaCl(aq)
H^{+}(aq)+OH^{-}(aq)----->H2O(l)

Are these right? Any corrections?

Physics news on Phys.org
carbon dioxide?

the first one is def. wrong. where did u get H20 as a reactant? the original problem states "Sulfur trioxide is heated with carbon dioxide." Re-work the first one, and for a hint, there will be no net ionic reaction for this one b/c nothing is in solution.

the second one is right. the overall is SrCl2 + Na2SO4 ---> SrSO4 + 2 NaCl, and the net ionic reation you have looks good.

the third on looks ok, but I am not too sure. that chemistry is now buried under a semester of organic chem, so forgive me if I am rusty

Related to Yes, your equations are correct.

1. How can I be sure that my equations are correct?

There are a few ways to ensure the accuracy of your equations. One way is to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. Another way is to compare your results with existing data or results from other sources. Additionally, you can ask a peer or mentor to review your equations and provide feedback.

2. What should I do if my equations are not yielding the expected results?

If your equations are not giving you the expected results, it is important to troubleshoot and try to identify the source of the error. Check your inputs and make sure they are accurate, and also review your calculations to see if there are any mistakes. You may also want to consult with a colleague or conduct additional research to see if there are any alternative equations or methods that could provide better results.

3. Is it possible for my equations to be correct but still yield incorrect results?

Yes, it is possible for your equations to be mathematically correct but still produce incorrect results. This could be due to incorrect assumptions, limitations of the model or equations, or errors in data inputs. It is important to thoroughly test and validate your equations to ensure they are accurately representing the phenomenon you are studying.

4. Can I use the same equations for different experiments or scenarios?

It depends on the specific equations and the nature of the experiments or scenarios. Some equations may be applicable in a wide range of situations, while others may only be valid under specific conditions. It is important to understand the limitations and assumptions of your equations and determine if they are applicable to your specific experiments or scenarios.

5. Are there any resources or tools available to help me verify the correctness of my equations?

Yes, there are various resources and tools available to assist scientists in verifying the correctness of their equations. These include software programs, online calculators, and peer-reviewed publications. It is important to use reliable and credible resources when verifying the correctness of your equations.