Year 12 physics - thin films question

In summary, the question is asking which color will be most strongly reflected by a 100 nm thick soap film with a refractive index of 1.33. To determine this, one must adjust for the wavelength change due to the refractive index and account for the 1/2 wave inversion at the top surface. The "most reflected" wavelength will experience constructive interference from both reflections, resulting in a color that is determined by the transition of refractive index.
ash
I'm really stuck on this question:

A soap film is 100 nm thick. What wavelength of light will be most strongly reflected by this film; that is, what colour will it appear? (n soap = 1.33).

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
um.. would this be asking which would refract the most?

If so i would say red..

I know you need to adjust for the wavelength change due to n, but I can't remember if it's a 1/2 wave or a full wave coating. One is minimum reflection and the other maximum. Either

100nm x 1.33 x 2 or 100nm x 1.33

Last edited:
there is 1/2 wave inversion at the top surface, but no inversion at the bottom surface. The "most reflected" wavelength will experience constructive interference from both reflections. To do so, the second ray will travel a total distance through the film equal to 1/2 its wavelength in the film.

Can you take it from there?

just to refresh my memory, what determines the 1/2 wave inversion or not? Is it the sense of the the transition low index > high index vs. high > low, or something else?

low index > high index----reflect with 180 degree phase shift
high > low----reflect with no phase shift

the above two conditions + interference = answer of this problem

Related to Year 12 physics - thin films question

1. What is a thin film in physics?

A thin film in physics refers to a layer of material that has a thickness in the nanometer or micrometer range. It is commonly used in the study of optics and material science, where the properties of light and matter at this scale are of interest.

2. How are thin films created?

Thin films can be created through various methods such as physical vapor deposition, chemical vapor deposition, and spin coating. These techniques involve depositing a thin layer of material onto a substrate, which can be a solid surface or a liquid surface.

3. What are the applications of thin films in physics?

Thin films have a wide range of applications in physics, including in the development of electronic devices, solar cells, optical coatings, and sensors. They are also used in research to study the behavior of matter at a nanoscale level.

4. How does the thickness of a thin film affect its properties?

The thickness of a thin film can significantly impact its properties, such as its optical, electrical, and mechanical properties. As the thickness decreases, the surface-to-volume ratio increases, leading to changes in the behavior of the material at the nanoscale level.

5. What are some challenges in studying thin films in physics?

One of the main challenges in studying thin films is their delicate nature, which makes their manipulation and characterization difficult. Another challenge is the accurate measurement of thin film thickness, as traditional methods may not be suitable for such small dimensions.