Y to Δ transformation of a circuit

In summary, To find i0 and ix using the Y to Δ transformation, you need to look for another point where three resistors come together at a node, which in this case is the bottom central connection. The three resistors that leave this connection point are the "arms" of the Y, which are the 12 ohm resistor that i0 passes through, the bottom 4 ohm resistor, and the 4 ohm resistor that ix passes through.
sevag00

Homework Statement

Use Y to Δ transformation to find i0 and i/x
Capture.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my transformation.
Untitled.jpg

Calculated i0, which is equal to 3A.
I have no clue how to find ix.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to find another "Y" to transform that leaves the Ix branch alone... Look for another point where three resistors come together at a node.

I can't find any. The others are all deltas.

sevag00 said:
I can't find any. The others are all deltas.

That's not true! Three resistors come together at the bottom node, too. Remember, the particular orientation of parts and wires on a circuit drawing is not important. What is important is what is connected to what. The Y in "Y" configuration may look more like an ω if you bend the wires around a bit...

Sorry, still no clue.

sevag00 said:
Sorry, still no clue.

Bottom central connection is the center of the Y. Three resistors leave that connection point. They are the 'arms' of the Y.

Do you mean the 12 ohm resistor that i0 passes through, the bottom 4 ohm resistor and the 4 ohm resistor that ix passes?

sevag00 said:
Do you mean the 12 ohm resistor that i0 passes through, the bottom 4 ohm resistor and the 4 ohm resistor that ix passes?

Yes, yes, no. Does the 4 Ω resistor that Ix passes through connect to the bottom node with the others?

Hmm. Then it should be the other 4 ohm resistor.

Related to Y to Δ transformation of a circuit

1. What is Y to Δ transformation of a circuit?

The Y to Δ transformation, also known as the Delta to Wye transformation, is a technique used to simplify a complex circuit by converting it from a Y-shaped (or Delta) configuration to a Δ-shaped (or Wye) configuration. This transformation is based on the principle of equivalence, where two circuits with the same voltage and current characteristics are considered equivalent.

2. Why is Y to Δ transformation used?

The Y to Δ transformation is used to simplify complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. It also helps to reduce the number of components in a circuit, which can save space and decrease costs.

3. How is Y to Δ transformation performed?

To perform a Y to Δ transformation, first, the Y-shaped circuit is redrawn as a Δ-shaped circuit. Then, the resistors are labeled as R1, R2, and R3. Next, the equivalent resistance of the Y-shaped circuit is calculated using the formula RΔ = (R1 * R2 + R2 * R3 + R1 * R3) / (R1 + R2 + R3). Finally, the equivalent resistors are connected to form a Δ-shaped circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using Y to Δ transformation?

One of the main advantages of using Y to Δ transformation is that it simplifies the circuit, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. It also helps to reduce the number of components in a circuit, which can save space and decrease costs. Additionally, the Y to Δ transformation can help to balance the load on each resistor, which can increase the overall efficiency of the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to Y to Δ transformation?

While Y to Δ transformation can be a useful tool for simplifying circuits, it has its limitations. This transformation can only be used for circuits with resistors in a Y-shaped configuration. Additionally, the voltage and current characteristics of the circuit must be the same before and after the transformation. If these conditions are not met, the transformation may not be accurate.