Y = 1/(1+x)^x rearranged in terms of x

• Thread starter TheDonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, there is no exact algebraic solution for finding x given y in the equation y = 1/(1+x)^x. It may be possible to express it in terms of the Lambert W function, but it is not straightforward. Other potential approaches include using Newton's method or finding libraries that can solve this type of equation. However, a simpler solution for a sigmoid-like curve may be to use the logistic function 1 / (1 + e^-x).
TheDonk
edit: Oh nuts, embarrassing typo. Should be "...rearranged in terms of y"
Ok, I swear this isn't homework but if it seems too much like homework I'm happy to have it moved there.

So I need to be able to find x given y in:

y = 1/(1+x)^x

Possibly important:
y will always be between 0 and 1 and as y goes from 0 to 1, x goes from infinity to 0.

I don't really know where to start. Is there an exact algebraic solution at all? I need to write an algorithm that will calculate this reliably. The reason I need it is to calculate a sigmoid-like curve based on certain (in my opinion) intuitive inputs. The one remaining problem is inverting this equation!

Thanks to all who help!
- Andrew

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no algebraic way to do it, I expect. You may be able to express it in terms of the Lambert W function (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_W_function). I played around with it quickly but didn't immediately figure out how to manipulate it to get it into Lambert W form.

I wonder whether Newton's method is a good numerical approach to this. Or there may be libraries out there that can do this sort of thing -- I don't know.

That Lambert W function will definitely give me something to think about. Thanks!

That function will not work in this case. you can easily do 1/x^x or 1/(x+1)^{x+1} but this one doesn't seem to work?

Gregg said:
That function will not work in this case. you can easily do 1/x^x or 1/(x+1)^{x+1} but this one doesn't seem to work?

It's true that Mathematica doesn't seem to be able to find a solution in terms of the Lambert W function (known in Mathematica as ProductLog). I was thinking perhaps a substitution could be found to get the thing into productlog form, but perhaps there isn't one (or Mathematica isn't good at solving for things in terms of the productlog if it doesn't have a built in answer?)

Last edited:
Mute said:
It's true that Mathematica doesn't seem to be able to find a solution in terms of the Lambert W function (known in Mathematica as ProductLog). I was thinking perhaps a substitution could be found to get the thing into productlog form, but perhaps there isn't one (or Mathematica isn't good at solving for things in terms of the productlog if it doesn't have a built in answer?)

I have managed to solve things in terms of the w function where mathematica can't e.g. 1/(x+1)^(x+1). So I agree that maybe it isn't that great at solving it. But still, this particular function doesn't seem to work and i can't imagine a substitution that will do it

Related to Y = 1/(1+x)^x rearranged in terms of x

What is the equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x" rearranged in terms of x?

The equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x" rearranged in terms of x is x = (1/Y)^(1/x) - 1.

How do you solve for x in the equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x"?

To solve for x in the equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x", you can rearrange the equation to x = (1/Y)^(1/x) - 1 and then use algebraic techniques such as logarithms to isolate x on one side of the equation.

What does the variable x represent in the equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x"?

The variable x represents the exponent in the equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x". It is the number of times that (1+x) is multiplied by itself in the denominator.

What is the significance of the equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x" in mathematics?

The equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x" is significant in mathematics because it represents the inverse relationship between exponential and logarithmic functions. It is also used in the study of limits and calculus.

How can the equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x" be applied in real-world situations?

The equation "Y = 1/(1+x)^x" can be applied in real-world situations to model exponential growth or decay, such as population growth or radioactive decay. It can also be used in finance to calculate compound interest or in physics to study exponential systems.