XYZ spectroscopy and the existence of possible 4-quark states

In summary: Also, if the Z(3900) were an evidence for 4-quark states, then all the other particles with similar decay patterns should be evidence as well, and they're not.What do you think this means for the existence of 4-quark states?If this discovery is correct, it means that the 4-quark model needs to be revised.
Einj
Hi everyone, I've been studying the so-called XYZ spectroscopy and the existence of possible 4-quark states.

The LHCb collaboration recently confirmed the existence of a particle called [itex]Z(4430)^-[/itex]. This particle is the unambiguous evidence for the existence of 4-quark states. From what I understood the reason is that this particle decays as [itex]Z(4430)^-\to \psi' \pi^-[/itex]. Since it decays in a [itex]c\bar c[/itex] it must contain such quarks as valence quarks. Moreover it is charged and therefore its minimal quark content can only be [itex]c\bar c d\bar u[/itex].

My question is: some time ago was also discovered another particle, the [itex]Z_c(3900)^+[/itex] decaying in [itex]J/\psi \pi^+[/itex]. Why this is not considered as an evidence for 4-quark states? It seems to me that it follows the same criteria as the [itex]Z(4430)^-[/itex].

Does anyone know something about it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This particle is the unambiguous evidence for the existence of 4-quark states.
It is an unambiguous evidence for something beyond the established categories.

The Zc(3900)+ has the same features, but the discovery of this particle was not as clear as the observation of the Z(4430).

What do you mean exactly? If I remember correctly the Z(3900) was safely observed in two different decay channels with significantly more than 5 sigma. What other factors define the "significance" of the discovery?

I don't have the time to check the original references now, but systematic uncertainties do not follow a normal distribution. See the Opera neutrino measurement for example - they could have observed 50 sigma and still be wrong because of an unaccounted measurement error. It is easy to get a model wrong (and therefore see a particle that does not exist), especially in areas with so many open question as in XYZ states. Two different experiments don't make that less likely if they use the same models.

Likes 1 person
Understood. So, at the end of the day what makes the LHCb discovery so important is that it is more solid that the others right?

I disagree - there's nothing "better" about the 4430 discovery than the 3900. Both have an unambiguous peak. What the LHCb result adds is something called a Argand diagram showing the phase at the mass pole: this is highly technical, but it demonstrates that the peak in the mass plot behaves as a particle and not some sort of bizarre background.

Likes 1 person
Do you know if there is any particular reason that prevent the other experiment to perform the same phase analysis for the Z(3900)? I mean, it was discovered a few years ago and no one did that. Is that because of it was impossible for the other experiments or what?

Among other reasons, it takes a lot of events.

Related to XYZ spectroscopy and the existence of possible 4-quark states

1. What is XYZ spectroscopy?

XYZ spectroscopy is a type of spectroscopy used to study the structure and behavior of molecules and atoms. This technique involves analyzing the emission or absorption of light by a sample in order to determine its chemical composition, energy levels, and other physical properties.

2. How is XYZ spectroscopy used to detect 4-quark states?

XYZ spectroscopy is used to detect 4-quark states by analyzing the energy levels and decay patterns of particles produced in high-energy collisions. These collisions can create exotic particles, such as tetraquarks, which are composed of four quarks instead of the usual three quarks found in protons and neutrons.

3. What evidence supports the existence of 4-quark states?

There is still ongoing research in this field, but some evidence for the existence of 4-quark states comes from experiments at particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. These experiments have observed particles with unexpected properties that cannot be explained by the current understanding of quark interactions.

4. How do scientists study 4-quark states using XYZ spectroscopy?

Scientists study 4-quark states using XYZ spectroscopy by analyzing the energy levels and decay patterns of particles produced in high-energy collisions. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to make predictions about the properties and behavior of these exotic particles.

5. What is the significance of discovering 4-quark states?

The discovery of 4-quark states would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the strong force that holds them together. It could also lead to new insights and advances in particle physics and potentially open up new avenues for technological applications.