XRD Analysis of ZnO: Peak Matching Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of peak matching in X-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis, specifically for the peaks of ZnO. It suggests using a modern XRD set-up with integrated software for easier searching and matching of peaks, but also mentions the alternative method of using the film method. It also recommends looking at published papers for guidance and reference.
arshid
Hi All,
I am new in this forum. Is anybody who can guide me about the Peak Matching of XRD Analysis. I am looking for the peaks of ZnO.
Thanks and Regardss

Engineering news on Phys.org
That depends on your specific XRD set-up. Are you using a newer system with a computer integrated detector and analysis software package (such as X'PERT Quantify), or are you using a Debye-Scherrer Camera and developing your own film strip?

Assuming that you have the more modern set-up, it is relatively easy to search your scan for known peaks, although it will vary depending on your analytical software package. Generally you begin by removing your background, as well as K[tex]\alpha[/tex]2 radiation. You then may apply some line smoothing functions, depending on your scan rate, dwell time, and quality of diffraction pattern. You normally then select the elements that you expect to be present within the sample, and search for correlating peaks. If this does not work, you can usually tell the program exactly where your peaks are located using markers, then searching for peaks that correlate with your markers. Usually multiple patterns will match one or more of your peaks, so you then browse through the list of possible matches, and select the best fit (some shift in intensity and/or 2Theta angle may be required due to sample prep).

If you are using the film method, then you'll need a light table, and you'll have to measure the spacing of the resultant diffraction cones. You then select the three with the highest intensity, and calculate the planar spacings. You can then look up these spacings in an index of inorganic phases, and ensure an acceptable correlation. This process is long, and can be tedious, so hopefully you have a software package, but if not it can be done.

I hope this helps, as this is my first post on this site as I just found it today.

Dave,

besides what the last guy said, I would look in the literature for published papers that talk about ZnO and how they used XRD to characterize it. Odds are they will have a spectra showing the peaks in the paper.

Related to XRD Analysis of ZnO: Peak Matching Guide

1. What is XRD analysis?

XRD (X-ray diffraction) analysis is a technique used to study the structure of materials at the atomic or molecular level. It involves exposing a sample to high-energy X-rays and measuring the diffraction pattern produced, which can provide information about the arrangement of atoms in the material.

2. Why is XRD analysis used for ZnO?

XRD analysis is commonly used for ZnO (zinc oxide) because it is a crystalline material with a well-defined crystal structure. This makes it ideal for XRD analysis, as the diffraction pattern produced can be easily matched to known reference patterns to identify the crystal structure and phase of the ZnO sample.

3. What is peak matching in XRD analysis of ZnO?

Peak matching is the process of comparing the diffraction pattern produced by a sample of ZnO to known reference patterns of different crystal structures and phases of ZnO. By matching the peaks in the sample's diffraction pattern to those in the reference patterns, the crystal structure and phase of the ZnO sample can be determined.

4. How is peak matching performed in XRD analysis of ZnO?

To perform peak matching in XRD analysis of ZnO, the diffraction pattern of the sample is first collected using a specialized instrument called an X-ray diffractometer. The pattern is then compared to a database of known reference patterns, and the peaks are matched to determine the crystal structure and phase of the ZnO sample.

5. What are the benefits of using XRD analysis for ZnO?

XRD analysis of ZnO offers several benefits, including its non-destructive nature, high sensitivity, and ability to provide information about the crystal structure and phase of the material. It is also a relatively quick and straightforward technique, making it a valuable tool for studying the properties and characteristics of ZnO in various applications.