Xmgrace: making one double plot out of two single plots

• Thread starter Bill Foster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot Plots
In summary, xmgrace allows for the combination of multiple plots into a single file, with the option to display them side-by-side or in a smaller plot within a larger one. This can be done by using the "Merge" command in the File menu, which imports all data, formatting, and labels from the original plot into the new one. The "Link" command can also be used to automatically apply changes made to one plot to another.
Bill Foster
Grace plots are typically stored in files with a *.agr extension.

Suppose I have two (or more) single plots:

plot0.agr
plot1.agr

Suppose I want to combine these plots into a single file, with each plot displayed side-by-side, or a smaller plot within a larger, or whatever. We can call the new file

plotN.agr

The first plot is easy...just copy plot0.agr to plotN.agr

cp plot0.agr plotN.agr

And in xmgrace, I can create a new plot (G1), put them side-by-side or orient them any way I choose. But how do I get the data from plot1.agr into G1 in plotN.agr?

I know I can export the data from plot1.agr and import it int G1 in plotN.agr. But what about all the formatting, text and labels?

Is there a way in import plot1.agr with all its data, formatting, labels, etc. into G1 in plotN.agr? And do the same for any subsequent plots? If so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is yes, you can do this with xmgrace. You can import a plot from one file into another by using the "Merge" command in the File menu. This will import all the data, formatting, labels, etc. from the original plot into the new plot. You can also use the "Link" command to link two plots together, so that any changes you make to one plot will automatically be applied to the other.

Related to Xmgrace: making one double plot out of two single plots

1. What is Xmgrace and how does it work?

Xmgrace is a data visualization software commonly used in scientific research. It allows you to create graphs and plots from numerical data. It is a free and open-source program that runs on multiple operating systems.

2. Can Xmgrace combine two single plots into one double plot?

Yes, Xmgrace has a feature that allows you to combine multiple plots into one. This can be useful for comparing data or creating a more visually appealing graph.

3. How do I merge two single plots into one double plot using Xmgrace?

To merge two single plots into one double plot, you can use the "Combine Plots" option under the "Plot" menu. This will open a window where you can select the plots you want to combine and customize the layout and appearance of the double plot.

4. Can I customize the appearance of the double plot created in Xmgrace?

Yes, Xmgrace offers various customization options for the double plot, such as changing the axes, legends, labels, and colors. You can also add titles, annotations, and other graphical elements to enhance the visual representation of your data.

5. Is Xmgrace suitable for creating publication-quality plots?

Yes, Xmgrace has a user-friendly interface and offers a wide range of customization options, making it a popular choice for creating high-quality plots for publication. It also allows you to export your plots in various formats, such as EPS, PDF, and SVG, which are commonly used in scientific publications.