X-Ray Diffraction HWK Problems

Al atom is surrounded by 8 Fe atoms at the corners of a cube). Plugging these values into the equation for d, we get:d = 1 / √(1^2 + 1^2 + 1^2) = 1/√3 Å = 0.58 ÅFor the disordered phase, we can assume that the Fe and Al atoms randomly occupy the 8 corners and the body center of the unit cell, so we can use the same lattice parameter and Miller indices as before. Plugging these values into the equation for d, we get:d = 1 / √(1^2 + 1^2 + 1^2)
UzumakiNaruto

Homework Statement

1. The intensities of Kalpha and Kbeta of a Cu X-ray tube have a ratio of about 10/1. It is desirable to increase the ratio to 1000/1 by using a Ni foil as a critical absorber. What should be the thickness of the Ni foil? How much attenuation in intensity has the Cu Kalpha suffered?

2. Suppose FeAl (i.e. Fe50Al50) exists in two forms: ordered phase and disordered phase. In the ordered phase, Fe and Al form two interpenetrating sc sublattices. Each al atom is surrounded by 8 Fe atoms at the eight corners of a cube, and vice versa. In the disordered phase, Fe and Al randomly occupy the 8 corners and the body center of a cube. What would be x-ray diffraction patterns for the two phases?

Homework Equations

1. I = Ioexp[u*x] = Ioexp[(u/rho)*rho*x]
where I = attenuation of a photon intensity through a material.
u = absorption coefficient (in cm^-1) and (1/u) = one absorption length.
rho = density of the material (usually it is not u but u/rho (in units of cm^2/g that is tabulated.
1 barn = 10^-24 cm^2

2. Have no clue!

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I have no clue how to even do this. I can't find any equations relating the filter thickness to the information given. Any help is greatly appreciated! I only know we are supposed to use the attenuation equation for the second part of question 1. Thanks in Advance!

2. I also have no clue how do this! Please help! Thanks in Advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

For the first part of your question, we can use the Beer-Lambert Law to find the thickness of the Ni foil needed to increase the ratio of Kalpha to Kbeta to 1000/1. The Beer-Lambert Law states that the intensity of a beam of light (or in this case, X-rays) decreases exponentially as it passes through a material. The equation for this is:

I = I0 * e^(-ux)

Where:
I = intensity after passing through the material
I0 = initial intensity
u = absorption coefficient
x = thickness of the material

We can rearrange this equation to solve for x:

x = ln(I/I0) / -u

We know that the initial ratio of Kalpha to Kbeta is 10/1, so I0 = 10. We want to increase this to 1000/1, so I = 1000. We can also find the absorption coefficient for Ni at the energy of the Cu X-ray tube (8 keV) from a table, which is approximately 5.5 cm^-1.

Plugging in these values, we get:

x = ln(1000/10) / -5.5 = 4.9 cm

So the thickness of the Ni foil needed to increase the ratio to 1000/1 is approximately 4.9 cm.

As for the second part of the question, we can use the Bragg Equation to find the x-ray diffraction patterns for the two phases of FeAl. The Bragg Equation is:

nλ = 2dsinθ

Where:
n = order of diffraction
λ = wavelength of the x-rays
d = spacing between crystal planes
θ = angle of diffraction

For the ordered phase, the spacing between crystal planes can be found using the formula:

d = a / √(h^2 + k^2 + l^2)

Where:
a = lattice parameter (distance between unit cells)
h, k, l = Miller indices

Since the Fe and Al atoms form two interpenetrating sc sublattices, we can use the lattice parameter for simple cubic structures, which is equal to the length of one side of the unit cell. For simplicity, we can assume that the lattice parameter is equal to 1 Å (10^-10 m).

For the ordered phase, we have h = k = l =

Related to X-Ray Diffraction HWK Problems

What is X-Ray Diffraction and why is it important in scientific research?

X-Ray Diffraction is a technique used to study the structure of materials at an atomic or molecular level. It involves shining a beam of X-rays onto a sample and analyzing the resulting diffraction pattern. This technique is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to determine the arrangement of atoms in a material, which is crucial for understanding its properties and behavior.

How does X-Ray Diffraction work?

X-Ray Diffraction works by passing a beam of X-rays through a crystalline sample. The X-rays interact with the electrons in the sample, causing them to scatter in different directions. The scattered X-rays then interfere with each other, creating a diffraction pattern that can be analyzed to determine the arrangement of atoms in the sample.

What are some common challenges in solving X-Ray Diffraction homework problems?

Some common challenges in solving X-Ray Diffraction homework problems include understanding the principles behind X-Ray Diffraction, correctly interpreting diffraction patterns, and identifying the correct equations and calculations to use for a given problem. It is also important to have a strong understanding of crystal structures and symmetry in order to accurately solve X-Ray Diffraction problems.

What are some tips for successfully solving X-Ray Diffraction homework problems?

Some tips for successfully solving X-Ray Diffraction homework problems include reviewing the fundamental principles of X-Ray Diffraction, practicing interpreting diffraction patterns, and familiarizing yourself with common crystal structures and their associated symmetry operations. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and to check your work for accuracy.

How is X-Ray Diffraction used in different fields of scientific research?

X-Ray Diffraction has a wide range of applications in different fields of scientific research. In materials science, it is used to study the atomic structure of materials and to develop new materials with specific properties. In chemistry, X-Ray Diffraction is used to study the structure of molecules and to determine the composition of unknown substances. In biology, it is used to study the structure of proteins and other biomolecules. X-Ray Diffraction is also used in geology, archaeology, and forensic science to analyze the composition and structure of various materials.