X-ray Diffraction: Crystal Structure vs. Electric Dipole

In summary, the conversation discusses the diffraction of x-rays on a crystal structure and whether it behaves in the same way as light through a diffraction grating. One person mentions that a crystal structure acts like a 3D diffraction grating, while the other mentions the induction of an electric dipole moment in the scatterer. The conversation ends with a suggestion to search for more information on how X-ray diffraction works.
whatisreality
When x-rays are incident on a crystal structure, do they diffract in the same way as light through a diffraction grating?
On the one hand, I've read that a crystal structure acts like a 3D diffraction grating. On the other hand, I have been told that x-rays induce an electric dipole moment in the scatterer, which then acts like an antenna and emits scattered waves.
I don't understand the second statement, but I feel like they're saying completely different things anyway.

Science news on Phys.org

Related to X-ray Diffraction: Crystal Structure vs. Electric Dipole

What is X-ray diffraction?

X-ray diffraction is a technique used to determine the atomic and molecular structure of crystals by analyzing how X-rays are scattered when they interact with the crystal's lattice structure.

How does X-ray diffraction work?

X-rays are directed at a crystal, and the atoms in the crystal cause the X-rays to diffract in specific directions. The resulting diffraction pattern is captured and analyzed to determine the crystal's atomic arrangement.

What is the difference between crystal structure and electric dipole in X-ray diffraction?

Crystal structure refers to the arrangement of atoms in a crystal, while electric dipole refers to the distribution of positive and negative charges within the crystal. X-ray diffraction can provide information about both the crystal structure and the electric dipole moment.

What are some common applications of X-ray diffraction?

X-ray diffraction is used in various fields, such as material science, geology, chemistry, and biology, to study the structure of crystals. It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry to determine the structure of drugs and in forensics to analyze trace evidence.

Are there any limitations to X-ray diffraction?

One limitation of X-ray diffraction is that it requires a crystalline sample, which means amorphous materials cannot be analyzed. Additionally, X-ray diffraction cannot provide information about the chemical composition of a crystal, only its atomic arrangement.