X and x' in two coordinate relativistic systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz transformations between two coordinate systems, S-OXYZ and S'-O'X'Y'Z', with S' moving at a velocity v away from S. At t=0, the transformation for x in terms of x' is x = x' / sqrt(1 - beta^2) = x'gamma. The speaker then asks about the general transformation for when t is not equal to 0, and how x' can be calculated when x is known. The expert responds that the general transformation is x' = gamma(x - vt), and that setting both t and t' to 0 results in only (x=0, t=0) and (x'=0
C_Ovidiu
let's say we have two coordinate systems ( S-OXYZ and S'-O'X'Y'Z') , S' moving with velocity v away from S . At t=0 O=O'.

According to Lorentz' transformations we have :

At t=0 x in as a function of x' :
[tex]x=\frac{x'}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}=x'\gamma[/tex]

Now, say I know x(I just found it above) , and I want to find x'
[tex]x'=x\gamma=x'\gamma^2=>\gamma^2=1[/tex]

Where does this come from and what have I missed ?
Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
C_Ovidiu said:
let's say we have two coordinate systems ( S-OXYZ and S'-O'X'Y'Z') , S' moving with velocity v away from S . At t=0 O=O'.

According to Lorentz' transformations we have :

At t=0 x in as a function of x' :
[tex]x=\frac{x'}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}=x'\gamma[/tex]
Why are you just looking at cases where t=0? The general transformation would be [tex]x' = \gamma (x - vt)[/tex], so if t=0 then you do have [tex]x' = \gamma x[/tex] (you seem to have reversed x and x' though, unless you meant to write t'=0).
C_Ovidiu said:
Now, say I know x(I just found it above) , and I want to find x'
[tex]x'=x\gamma=x'\gamma^2=>\gamma^2=1[/tex]
I agree with [tex]x' = x \gamma[/tex] in the case of t=0, but where are you getting [tex]x \gamma = x' \gamma^2[/tex]? Are you taking the reverse Lorentz transform [tex]x = \gamma (x' + vt')[/tex] and setting t'=0 as well, thus getting [tex]x = \gamma x'[/tex]? The problem is that if you set both t=0 and t'=0, the only coordinates where both time coordinates are 0 are (x=0, t=0) and (x'=0, t'=0), so obviously if x'=0 then you can have [tex]x' = x' \gamma^2[/tex] even when [tex]\gamma[/tex] is not 0.

Last edited:
Tnx.

Related to X and x' in two coordinate relativistic systems

1. What is the difference between "X" and "x' in two coordinate relativistic systems?

"X" and "x' refer to the spatial coordinates in two different coordinate systems. "X" represents the spatial coordinates in the stationary coordinate system, while "x'" represents the spatial coordinates in the moving coordinate system.

2. How do "X" and "x' change in relation to each other in two coordinate relativistic systems?

According to the Lorentz transformation equations, "x'" is a function of "X" and the velocity of the moving coordinate system relative to the stationary coordinate system. As the velocity increases, "x'" becomes larger in relation to "X".

3. Can "X" and "x' be used interchangeably in two coordinate relativistic systems?

No, "X" and "x'" represent different spatial coordinates and cannot be used interchangeably. They are related through the Lorentz transformation equations, but they have different physical meanings.

4. What is the significance of "X" and "x' in the theory of special relativity?

"X" and "x'" are important in the theory of special relativity because they represent the spatial coordinates in different reference frames. This is crucial for understanding how space and time are perceived differently by observers in different reference frames.

5. How do "X" and "x' affect the measurement of distances in two coordinate relativistic systems?

The measurement of distances in two coordinate relativistic systems is affected by the difference in the spatial coordinates "X" and "x'". This is due to the phenomenon of length contraction, where the length of an object appears to be shorter in the direction of motion in the moving coordinate system.