Wysips transparent solar cell.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a magnifying array in the Wysips solar cell and questions its effectiveness and cost compared to other types of solar cells. It is explained that the array is actually used to thicken the silicon coating, not to focus light. However, there are concerns about the efficiency of the photoelectric layer and its impact on the power needed for the display.
Rush2112
Didnt einstein show that the work function depends on frequency not intensity? If so, than why does the Wysips cell use a magnifying array?
Sorry i don't have a pic, but a diagram of the solar cell may be found using google images.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rush2112 said:
If so, than why does the Wysips cell use a magnifying array?

The higher the intensity the less active material is required. That makes the cell cheaper.

As far as I know magnifying arrays are used for GaAs-based solar cell, which are high-efficiency but expensive. For Si-based solar cells, which are much cheaper, no concentration optics is used.

DrStupid said:
The higher the intensity the less active material is required. That makes the cell cheaper.

But if you're using the solar cell on your mobile device which is always moving around (as is the sun), then the focused sunlight would always move out of the active silicon area.
Plus, since polycrystalline is so cheap nowadays, are u sure the cost of adding lenses+the poor optical tranmission thru the lens array is worth it?

Again, in my gendankin, I am seeing the focused sunlight move all over the place, and only periodically and by chance falling on the active area therefore my question remains unexplained.

Alright, I figured out the lens array issue.
The lenses aren't used to focus loght at all; theyre used because the silicon coating would be too thin (1 micron) to carry charges. Thus, the array is added.

I wonder how the photoelectric layer is supposed to be efficient and use the light energy falling on it, yet it let's light through it so that you can see the display. The more light the cell absorbs, the brighter the display would need to be - and hence would need more electrical power?
I guess, if the display were off for most of the time, that might not be a problem but it would need a large off/on time ratio. Also, a very directional display could help: hence the lenticular screen.

Related to Wysips transparent solar cell.

What is a Wysips transparent solar cell?

A Wysips transparent solar cell is a type of solar panel that is transparent, allowing light to pass through while also generating electricity. It stands for "What You See Is Photovoltaic Surface".

How does a Wysips transparent solar cell work?

The Wysips transparent solar cell is made up of a thin layer of photovoltaic material that is sandwiched between two layers of transparent conductive material. When light passes through the cell, it is absorbed by the photovoltaic material, which converts it into electricity.

What are the benefits of using Wysips transparent solar cells?

One major benefit of Wysips transparent solar cells is their ability to generate electricity without obstructing the view. This makes them ideal for use in windows and other transparent surfaces, allowing buildings to generate renewable energy without sacrificing natural light or aesthetics. They are also lightweight, flexible, and can be manufactured in various colors.

Are Wysips transparent solar cells as efficient as traditional solar panels?

Wysips transparent solar cells are still in the early stages of development and are not as efficient as traditional solar panels. However, they are constantly being improved upon and have the potential to reach similar levels of efficiency in the future.

What are the current applications of Wysips transparent solar cells?

Wysips transparent solar cells are currently being used in small electronic devices, such as smartphones, where they can be integrated into the screen to provide additional battery life. They are also being tested for use in larger applications, such as building windows and car windshields.