Wye-Delta and Series-Parallel Circuit Problem

• Thread starter terryds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: Another option would be to use Ohm's Law, and break down the 10Ω into two 10Ω resistors, then proceed with those equivalents.The equivalent resistance would then be 10Ω (2Ω) and the total current would be 20Ω.In summary, the equivalent resistance for 10Ω, 5Ω and 3Ω is 18Ω, 3.272Ω and 1.847Ω, respectively. The total current for these resistors is 18Ω + 3.272Ω + 1.847Ω
terryds

Homework Statement

2qv4kuh.jpg
Determine the equivalent resistance and the total current!

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law
Wye-Delta Transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I do the series on 10 ohm, 5 ohm, 3 ohm resistors, because it is node e-g,g-h,h-f, so it becomes 18 ohms (e-f). Then I do the parallel 18 ohms // 4 ohms = 3.272 ohms (node e-f).

Then, I do the series 8 ohms with 3.272 ohms then parallel it with 0.0263 ohms. Let's call this result R_a (node d-f)
Also, I do the series 2 ohms with 60 ohms then parallel it with 0.0526 ohms. Let's call this result R_b (node c-d)

Then, I do the series R_b with R_a = R_c (node c-f) which is parallel to 0.3157 ohms.

After doing the parallel calculation, I do the series with 4 ohms.
But, it turns out that it is wrong answer.

The question is: Where did I get wrong? Please help. (I already know the correct answer and the correct step; but I still couldn't understand where I got wrong)

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:
I do the series on 10 ohm, 5 ohm, 3 ohm resistors...
These three resistors are not in series. The 5 ohm and 3 ohm are in series.

Likes terryds
lewando said:
These three resistors are not in series. The 5 ohm and 3 ohm are in series.

Alright, I understand!
It seems that I can't make it series because the current at 10 ohm is different than 5 ohm and 3 ohms!

To start, yes the 3Ω and 5Ω are in series, because at node h, ther is only one way for current to flow, but you cannot say the same about these two and 10Ω, because at node g, current has two directions it can flow. That is how you can make decisions if a resistor (or equivalent resistance) is in series with another resistor.

Likes terryds
One option, would be to treat the 4Ω, 8Ω and 10Ω a Y, and turn that into an equivalent Delta, then proceed with those equivalents.

Likes terryds

Related to Wye-Delta and Series-Parallel Circuit Problem

1. What is a Wye-Delta circuit?

A Wye-Delta circuit, also known as a star-delta circuit, is a type of electrical circuit that is commonly used in three-phase power systems. It consists of a combination of three resistors or loads connected in a triangular or delta shape, with the ends of each resistor connected to a common point or node, forming the shape of a "Y".

2. What is a Series-Parallel circuit?

A Series-Parallel circuit is a combination of both series and parallel connections of resistors or loads. This type of circuit is often used in electrical systems to balance the advantages and disadvantages of both series and parallel circuits. It allows for a combination of voltage and current division, making it more versatile for different types of loads.

3. What are the differences between a Wye-Delta and Series-Parallel circuit?

The main difference between a Wye-Delta and Series-Parallel circuit is their overall circuit configuration. A Wye-Delta circuit has three resistors or loads connected in a triangular shape, while a Series-Parallel circuit is a combination of series and parallel connections. Additionally, a Wye-Delta circuit is commonly used in three-phase power systems, while a Series-Parallel circuit is used in single-phase power systems.

4. How do you solve a Wye-Delta or Series-Parallel circuit problem?

To solve a Wye-Delta or Series-Parallel circuit problem, you can use a variety of methods such as Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, or Thevenin's theorem. You will need to analyze the circuit and determine the equivalent resistance, voltage, and current values for the entire circuit or specific parts of it. This can be done through a series of calculations and substitutions using the appropriate equations.

5. What are some common applications of Wye-Delta and Series-Parallel circuits?

Wye-Delta circuits are commonly used in three-phase power systems, which are found in industrial and commercial settings. They are also used in large motors and generators. Series-Parallel circuits are often used in household electrical systems, as well as in electronic devices such as radios and amplifiers. They are also used in automotive electrical systems for lighting and charging systems.