WTA : does atomic mass matter to atom's radius?

R-RadiusIn summary, The atomic radius ratio between He-3 and He-4 is 1, as both elements have the same number of electrons. However, the nuclear radius of He-3 and He-4 will be different due to their difference in mass number. This can be understood through the formula R=R_0*A^(1/3), where A is the mass number and R_0 is a constant.
adi adi

Homework Statement

so my friend asked this question: "what's the atomic radius ratio between He-3 and He-4?"
2. Homework Equations

all i know is this equation : r =nh/mv
3. The Attempt at a Solution

i thought the ratio will be same because both He-3 and He-4 have only two electrons. Correct me if I am wrong please

Physics news on Phys.org
Nuclear radius will be different but atomic radius will remain the same. As atomic radius is the distance between the center of the nuclei to the outermost electron-which is same for both.

ratio is 1 and 'not same'

ash64449 said:
Nuclear radius will be different but atomic radius will remain the same. As atomic radius is the distance between the center of the nuclei to the outermost electron-which is same for both.

ratio is 1 and 'not same'
so to make clear things the ratio of atomic radius is same but the nuclear radius isn't same right?

adi adi said:
ratio of atomic radius is same

You should actually say atomic radius of both are same and ratio is 1.
adi adi said:
nuclear radius isn't same right?

yes. You can understand it by the formula:

R=R_0*A^(1/3)

where A-Mass number, R_0 is a constant

Related to WTA : does atomic mass matter to atom's radius?

1. Does the atomic mass of an atom affect its radius?

Yes, the atomic mass of an atom does affect its radius. As the atomic mass increases, the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus also increases, leading to a larger nucleus and therefore a larger atomic radius.

2. How does atomic mass affect the size of an atom?

The atomic mass directly affects the size of an atom. As the atomic mass increases, the number of particles in the nucleus also increases, resulting in a larger nucleus and therefore a larger atomic radius.

3. Is there a direct relationship between atomic mass and atomic radius?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between atomic mass and atomic radius. As the atomic mass increases, the atomic radius also increases. This is because the number of particles in the nucleus increases, leading to a larger nucleus and a larger atomic radius.

4. How does the atomic mass of an atom affect its electron configuration?

The atomic mass does not directly affect the electron configuration of an atom. However, as the atomic mass increases, the number of electrons also increases, leading to a more complex electron configuration.

5. Can an atom with a higher atomic mass have a smaller atomic radius than an atom with a lower atomic mass?

No, an atom with a higher atomic mass cannot have a smaller atomic radius than an atom with a lower atomic mass. The atomic radius is determined by the number of particles in the nucleus, which increases with atomic mass. Therefore, an atom with a higher atomic mass will always have a larger atomic radius.