Written off Roswell some years ag

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary: Anyway, back to the conversation.In summary, Hoover is apprehensive about getting involved in the UFO topic, but agrees to do so under the condition that the military releases the data from the recovered objects. He also points out that the Army has been playing games with the investigation, and that it would be a waste of the FBI's time to get involved.
Zooby, the file size limitation prevents me from posting the last doc mentioned; you would never be able to read it. The doc is marked "VERY URGENT" and is dated 7/7/47 - one week before the Hoover addendum of July 15th; and prior also to the date of the main Hoover doc of 7/10/47.

The special agent's (SA) memo states that a thin, aluminum, 16 inch diameter disk was retrieved. It was seen flying through the air with flames coming out of the sides. It crahsed and the fire went out. The memo further states that the disk was taken by G2 before the SA arrived. It was rigged with some electronics. The document source location is New Orleans.

One sentence of the memo is missing; followed by one blacked out word, then a hypen, then in quotes "made in USA". The rest of the description then continues.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite fascinating.

I have no idea what G2 is.

When you say one sentence of the memo is missing, what do you mean? What is it that makes you aware of a sentence that isn't there?

So, there are two separate documents. One has relevant references on several pages, and the other on one page?

-Zooby16 inches? If I recall correctly the original flying saucers (Kevin Arnold?) were reported to be quite small, but I never had a sense of how big he really thought they were. Anyway, if the Kevin Arnold(?) story said they were small then it would explain why these hoaxed ones were so small.

Last edited:
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Quite fascinating.

This stuff is a kick in the butt.

I have no idea what G2 is.

G-2
Army or Marine Corps component intelligence staff officer (Army division or higher staff, Marine Corps brigade or higher staff)

When you say one sentence of the memo is missing, what do you mean? What is it that makes you aware of a sentence that isn't there?

An extra space between sentences clearly contains missing text. It could have just been a bad copy that didn't translate to the document when digitized by the scanner.

So, there are two separate documents. One has relevant references on several pages, and the other on one page?

-Zooby

Hoovers quotes is cited which makes clear the unreadable text - the La. case. [EDIT: Note that you were right - La. case - I just couldn't argue the point without absolute certainty] The one page references the the recent activity which includes La., and then the last document is the report from the field agent in New Orleans.

16 inches? If I recall correctly the original flying saucers (Kevin Arnold?) were reported to be quite small, but I never had a sense of how big he really thought they were. Anyway, if the Kevin Arnold(?) story said they were small then it would explain why these hoaxed ones were so small.

Here is his description. Also, sorry, my fault, it's Kenneth Arnold.

Kevin Arnold was the character on The Wonder Years

He was looking down at the ground when suddenly he noticed a series of bright flashes off to his left. He looked for the source of the flashes and saw a string of nine very bright disk shaped objects, which he estimated to be 45 to 50 feet in length. They were traveling from north to south across the nose of his airplane. They were flying in a reversed echelon (i.e., lead object high with the rest stepped down), and as they flew along they weaved in and out between the mountain peaks, once passing behind one of the peaks. Each individual object had a skipping motion described by Arnold as a "saucer skipping across water."

http://www.nicap.dabsol.co.uk/arnoldrup.htm

His sighting was typical of many that place the size of most discs at 30 to 50 feet in diameter.

Edit: Besides Zooby, size doesn't matter! Really the lack of proper perspective due to the size vs distance [if you don't know the distance you can't estimate the size] problem often nulls the significance of size.

Last edited:
Here are some more interesting details found from this period of time. As mentioned earlier, according to the FBI info, a CIA agent was killed in a plane that crashed while in route from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles. The Ca. papers reported that witnesses observed that the plane carried flying saucers. The FBI doc "assumes" that the agent was returning from an interview with a witness to a saucer; and that these were likely collected from hoaxes. The FBI was told by the CIA that the agent was on a Top Secret mission. FBI pdf 1; p29

Next, a possibly meaningless but interesting comment is made by a physicist who dropped by a FBI field office [Edit: note that I had said UFO field office before the edit]in Stamford, Conn., on July 7th. He was working locally with a physics group and wanted to mention first that he knew of such sighting in Italy during WWII. Next, he points out that recent reports of saucer activity include sightings in Mexico City, New Orleans, Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Halifax, Newfoundland, Paris, Milan, Bologna, and Yugoslavia and Albania. He then points out that by putting a string around a globe of the earth, one sees that all of the above mentioned cities form a direct orbit. See p 56 of FBI pdf #1.

Last edited: