Writing Vector Equations for positions of toy cars in the form r=a+tb ?

In summary, the remote controlled car is traveling at a speed of 15cm/s in the direction 3i+4j and passing through the point (1,-4) at the moment t=1 second. The position vector can be represented as r = (1,-4) + t(3i+4j) where t is the time in seconds.
Dosirak

Homework Statement

For the following remote controlled toy cars, write vector equations for their positions in the form r=a+tb (a=initial position vector, b=velocity vector, r= position vector at any time t sec, distances in cm)

d. the car is traveling at 15cm/s in the direction 3i+4j ad passing through the point (1,-4) at the moment that t=1 second.

Homework Equations

[x,y]=(x0,y0)+ t[m1,m2] (?relevant?)
ka=v
|a|=[itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ka=v
|a|=[itex]\sqrt{3^2+4^2}[/itex]
|a|=[itex]\sqrt{9+16}[/itex]
|a|=[itex]\sqrt{25}[/itex]
|a|=[itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]

... I don't know I think the time is throwing me off :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed b is 15 in the direction 3i + 4j.
That is, |b| = 15.
And b = k(3i + 4j).
Take the magnitude of both sides and see if you can solve for k.
It is very much like you wrote in your attempt, but there you said the square root of 25 was the square root of 5 - drop the square root sign in the last step.

Related to Writing Vector Equations for positions of toy cars in the form r=a+tb ?

1. What are vector equations?

Vector equations are mathematical expressions that represent the relationship between multiple variables using vectors. These equations are used to describe the position, direction, and movement of objects in space.

2. How do you write vector equations for positions of toy cars?

To write vector equations for positions of toy cars, you first need to define a coordinate system and choose a point of origin. Then, you can use a vector to represent the initial position of the car, and another vector to represent its direction of motion. The equation will be in the form r = a + tb, where r is the position vector, a is the initial position vector, t is a scalar representing time, and b is the direction vector.

3. What is the significance of the a and b vectors in the equation?

The a vector represents the initial position of the car, while the b vector represents its direction of motion. These vectors are essential in determining the position of the car at any given time.

4. Can you use vector equations to represent the position of a moving car at any time?

Yes, vector equations can be used to represent the position of a moving car at any point in time. By adjusting the value of t in the equation, you can calculate the position of the car at any specific time.

5. How do you solve for t in a vector equation?

To solve for t in a vector equation, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. You can also use graphical methods, such as plotting the position vector and the direction vector on a coordinate plane and finding the intersection point. Additionally, you can use mathematical software or calculators to solve for t.