Writing Sci-fiction Graphic Novel need advisement in space travel

In summary: I would say that we are still many decades away from a technology that could achieve this. For interstellar...I think it is possible, but again it would require an extremely powerful propulsion system and a lot of resources.

Concisely, and in no offense towards the scientific community, they're like "mad scientists" met "power hungry CEO's"

Physics news on Phys.org

cruggero said:
Interesting, and I totally agree with you on all of this. I'd hope this is how we'd use these kinds of advancements. I'm stuck in the mind frame of using this for my narrative which is a, gloomy outlook. I'm not sure if I mentioned that this "Company" is more or less my antagonist. I'm a psychology major. I found an interesting correlation when researching Kohlberg's (Moral Reasoning Theory) between MTR and capitalistic ideals. Taking into account an individuals ethical view; some people who've obtained a lot of, let's say power, can/have exhibited a divergence from rules that counter their benefit and choose to ignore or break them. So this "Company" is like a worst case scenario of when "profit seeking goes bad". They act under a guise of concern for greater humanity and never really share this technology, they use it for their own profit, not others. They're not worried about saving Earth so much as having control. Reforming humanity into their own version of how humanity ought to be.

How do they use it for their own profit against everyone else? Surely everyone else is a customer :-p

The best advice I can give is try to think of the story you want but when thinking of the technologies pay great attention to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldbuilding" and thoroughly think through how a technology would change society. Often you may find that the technology needed to do something negates the need to do it (i.e. leave Earth because it's polluted = we need terraforming technology to live elsewhere = why not just use this technology to maintain the Earth?). A good technique is to try imagine the life of the everyday man and woman in your setting, it's great to have main characters and factions but the world will seem more real if you think through the background because even if you don't mention it I guarantee it will filter through in your writing.

Last edited by a moderator:

The story is heavily built on relationships believe it or not, its dialogue intensive. The thing about fighting, is that when it happens, its over quickly. I implanted that in the action scenes. But background is everything to me. I like the Tolkien take on things, create societies and build a story from them. If i think about it along the lines of advancing humanities expansion into the universe beyond or system, would that be more feasible? As for Earth, within the story its been home to civil warring on a worldwide scale, then a war that wiped out billions, the planets beat to heck and any technology along with it. Elsewhere is much better by comparison, most just look at Earth as a den of thieves.