Writing recommendation letters

In summary, professors are typically happy to write letters of recommendation for students they know well, as it is a standard part of their job and a way to encourage and support students. The value of a recommendation letter depends on its content, and letters from well-known individuals may hold more weight due to their connections and insight. A good letter of recommendation should include specific examples and qualities that demonstrate the student's fitness for their desired path.
spaghetti3451
Do professors always wish to write recommendation letters for bright students they personally know very well?

Is it quite often done to build up a good profile of the professor in the admissions committee of the university the student applies to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Professors will typically be happy to write letters of recommendation for a student they think will do well at a given university- it is a standard part of the job. I don't understand what you mean by "build up a good profile of the professor in the admissions committee". I can't imagine why a professor would worry about such a thing.

I don't know either, but I've seen professors expressing desire to write letters of recommendations for some of my extremely bright classmates?

failexam said:
I don't know either, but I've seen professors expressing desire to write letters of recommendations for some of my extremely bright classmates?
I have done that a few times. I think it is a way of encouraging students to continue with their studies and letting them know they can go far. Students can also be shy and feel uncomfortable with the idea of soliciting a letter of recommendation, so it is a way to let them know that I will gladly do it should they need one.

DrClaude said:
I have done that a few times. I think it is a way of encouraging students to continue with their studies and letting them know they can go far. Students can also be shy and feel uncomfortable with the idea of soliciting a letter of recommendation, so it is a way to let them know that I will gladly do it should they need one.

Isn't writing recommendation letters a totally selfless act? All the professor gets is perhaps a thank-you note from the student.

And seldom that!

failexam said:
Isn't writing recommendation letters a totally selfless act? All the professor gets is perhaps a thank-you note from the student.
Yes, it is a way of giving back to the community what you once were offered by other professors. Professors have been students in need of recommendation letters too.

Is it true that recommendation letters of different professors are weighted differently in the eyes of the admissions committee?

Is a letter by a professor from a top-10 university in the world going to be valued in the same light as a letter by a professor from a top-500 university?

failexam said:
Is it true that recommendation letters of different professors are weighted differently in the eyes of the admissions committee?

Of course. How could it possibly be otherwise.

failexam said:
Is a letter by a professor from a top-10 university in the world going to be valued in the same light as a letter by a professor from a top-500 university?

Doesn't that depend on what the letter says?

Vanadium 50 said:
Doesn't that depend on what the letter says?

Oh! So, you mean that the value of a letter comes from what the letter say, i.e. recommendation letter is a dialogue between experienced academics, so only an academic of sufficiently high caliber will be able to write a letter of value?

failexam said:
Oh! So, you mean that the value of a letter comes from what the letter say, i.e. recommendation letter is a dialogue between experienced academics, so only an academic of sufficiently high caliber will be able to write a letter of value?
Of course it depends on what the letter says. If it says "Do NOT hire!" your chances will be non-existing.

failexam said:

Did I say "it depends on what they letter says" or did I say "it depends on who writes it"?

Vanadium 50 said:
Did I say "it depends on what they letter says" or did I say "it depends on who writes it"?

You said 'it depends on what the letter says.'

And there's your answer.

Having recommendations from well known people helps because the recommender likely knows people on the admissions committee which gives them more insight into the letter. For example, you may have a recommender who gives praise sparingly, so if people know this professor and they write a good letter it gives it extra weight.

failexam said:

I don't know what Vanadium 50 meant, but when I write a letter for a student I try to include specifics- for example, a good letter will not just say "student X is in the top 10% of students", but include the justification for this ranking- "I had student X in 3 classes, student X worked in my lab for 2 semesters, I witnessed student X give scientific presentations to peers, ..." and I also like to enunciate specific qualities of student X that I think demonstrate fitness for grad school or a job- working independently (with examples), oral and written communication skills (with examples), etc. etc.

Likes Ravi Mohan

Related to Writing recommendation letters

1. How do I start writing a recommendation letter?

The best way to start writing a recommendation letter is by introducing yourself and your relationship to the person you are writing the letter for. Then, briefly explain the purpose of the letter and what qualifications or experiences you will be highlighting in the letter.

2. What information should I include in a recommendation letter?

A recommendation letter should include specific examples and details about the person's skills, abilities, and character. It should also mention their accomplishments and any relevant experiences that showcase their strengths and qualifications. It is also important to include your contact information and the date the letter was written.

3. How long should a recommendation letter be?

A recommendation letter should typically be one page in length. It should be concise and focused on the person's strengths and qualifications. However, if there is a specific requirement for the length of the letter, make sure to follow that guideline.

4. Is it okay to use a template for a recommendation letter?

While it is acceptable to use a template as a guide, it is important to personalize the letter and make it specific to the person and their achievements. Using a generic template can make the letter seem impersonal and less impactful.

5. How long does it take to write a recommendation letter?

The time it takes to write a recommendation letter can vary depending on the person writing it and their familiarity with the person they are writing about. However, it is recommended to give yourself at least a week to write the letter, as it may require multiple drafts and revisions to ensure it is well-written and effectively highlights the person's strengths.