Writing parallel vector equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a vector equation for a line passing through a given point and parallel to the y-axis. It is confirmed that the y-component of the tangent vector can be any value, including 0. The use of the given point as a support point and adding a vector that can be multiplied by a curve parameter t is also discussed. The resulting vector equation is (x,y,z)=(-1,0,3)+t(0,1,0).
Physics345

Homework Statement

Write a vector equation for the line that passes through the point P(–1, 0, 3) and is parallel to the y-axis.

Homework Equations

(x,y)=(x_0,y_0)+t(a,b)

The Attempt at a Solution

u ⃗=(0,1,0)
(x,y,z)=(-1,0,3)+t(0,1,0)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a question? You seem to have solved it already.

Likes Physics345
I was just confirming it. Thanks for letting me know, I guess I was unsure for no reason, basically in this case y can equal anything except for 0 for it to be parallel to the y-axis?

Physics345 said:
basically in this case y can equal anything except for 0 for it to be parallel to the y-axis?
Do you mean the y-component of the tangent vector? In that case yes. It would only be a reparametrisation of the line.

As for the y-value of the line, it can take any value - including 0 - depending on the value of the curve parameter.

Likes Physics345
Orodruin said:
Do you mean the y-component of the tangent vector? In that case yes. It would only be a reparametrisation of the line.

As for the y-value of the line, it can take any value - including 0 - depending on the value of the curve parameter.

Good to know, and yes I am referring to the y-component of the tangent vector. I was just confirming my understanding.

if it passes through that point, then why not use that point as the support point?
Then, what is a point on the Y axis that you can multiply to reach any y-axis point?
So now, use your support point P and add to it a vector that can be multiplied by t where t E R, that will allow you to reach anypoint on the line (like a unit vector or something). L:(x,y,z)=P+t(x,y,z);t E R.

Tonyb24 said:
if it passes through that point, then why not use that point as the support point?
It is exactly what he did.

Tonyb24 said:
Then, what is a point on the Y axis that you can multiply to reach any y-axis point?
Again, it is exactly what he did.

Tonyb24 said:
So now, use your support point P and add to it a vector that can be multiplied by t where t E R, that will allow you to reach anypoint on the line (like a unit vector or something). L:(x,y,z)=P+t(x,y,z);t E R.
Which is exactly what he got:
Physics345 said:
(x,y,z)=(-1,0,3)+t(0,1,0)

Likes Physics345

Related to Writing parallel vector equation

1. What is a parallel vector equation?

A parallel vector equation is a mathematical representation of two or more vectors that have the same direction but may differ in magnitude. This is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion or forces acting on an object.

2. How do you write a parallel vector equation?

To write a parallel vector equation, first determine the direction of the vectors. This can be done by finding the slope or using the direction angles. Then, use the direction and magnitude of one vector to write the equation in the form r = r0 + tv, where r0 is a known point on the line and v is the direction vector. Repeat this process for any additional vectors.

3. What is the difference between a parallel vector equation and a linear equation?

A parallel vector equation describes the direction and magnitude of vectors, while a linear equation describes a straight line. In a parallel vector equation, the direction vectors may be parallel but not necessarily collinear, whereas in a linear equation, all points on the line are collinear.

4. Can a parallel vector equation have more than two vectors?

Yes, a parallel vector equation can have any number of vectors. The equation would be written as r = r0 + tv1 + sv2 + uv3 + ..., where v1, v2, v3, etc. are the direction vectors and t, s, u, etc. are the corresponding scalar values.

5. How is a parallel vector equation used in real-life applications?

A parallel vector equation is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as describing the motion of objects in physics, calculating forces in engineering, and modeling trajectories in computer graphics. It is also used in navigation to calculate the direction and distance between two points.