The inverse of a set of points?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inverse for sets, specifically in the context of mathematical operations and relations. The group discusses different interpretations and applications of inverse, including for binary operations, functions, and ordered pairs. The conversation concludes by acknowledging that the notion of inverse may differ depending on the specific context.
thinice
I'm having trouble with this I'm sure it's a stupid terminology thing but for my personal retention, for example:
p={1,2}

what is the inverse of P (or mathematically put: p^-1)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd guess it's a set without the points, or p={1/1, 1/2} i.e. p={1^-1, 2^-1}.
It's more probable that's it's my second answer cos a set without 1 and 2 in its elements should be defined using the set-operation terms e.g. intersect, union (I forgot the one that means "without the elements")

I MIGHT BE COMPLETELY WRONG! SO WAIT TILL SUM1 WHO KNOWS ANSWER FOR SURE COMES ALONG.

ok?

I think it depends...

A set of points (x,y) describes a position, and the inverse of a position does not have much meaning.

The same set of points could, however, describe a displacement vector if the origin is assumed to be the initial location and (x,y) is the final location. The resultant displacement would have a magnitude of SQRT (x^2 + y^2) (that's pythagorean theorem), and this quantity could be inversed.

There's probably other interpretations

Without any extra context, the inverse of a set is not a meaningful concept.

Chi Meson said:
A set of points (x,y) describes a position, and the inverse of a position does not have much meaning.

Meson - you're confusing sets with ordered pairs. Even so, ordered pairs are generally not considered to have inverses.

Typically, inverses make sens used when you have:

Binary operations and an identity e.g.:
The multiplicative inverse of [tex]2[/tex] is [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. So [tex]2 \times \frac{1}{2} = 1[/tex]
or
The additive inverse of [tex]2[/tex] is [tex]-2[/tex]. So [tex]2 + (-2) = 0 [/tex]

Some type of relation:
The inverse of [tex]f(x)=2x[/tex] is [tex]f^{-1}(x)=\frac{x}{2}[/tex]. For bijections this is also an inverse in the sense above. I.e. for [tex]f[/tex] a bijection, [tex]f(f^{-1}(x))=x[/tex] is the identity function, but can readily be generalized to relations, or so that the inverse of [tex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/tex], is [tex]f:Y \rightarrow P(X)[/tex] where [tex]P(X)[/tex] is the power set of [tex]X[/tex].

There are probably other notions of inverse that I'm not thinking of. Regarding the notation [tex]P^{-1}[/tex] - I supose it might be used to describe the complement of [tex]P[/tex] but, if this is for a math course or text, look for the first instance of it in the text.

ordered pairs do have inverses. The inverse of (1,3) is (3,1). Its just like with a function, to determine the inverse function you have to switch the x and y values.

What is the inverse of a set of points?

The inverse of a set of points is a new set of points where the x and y coordinates of each point are switched. This means that for any point (x,y) in the original set, the inverse set will have a point (y,x).

Why is the inverse of a set of points important?

The inverse of a set of points is important because it can provide a new perspective or insight into the data. It can also be used in mathematical operations and transformations.

What is the relationship between the inverse of a set of points and its original set?

The inverse of a set of points is the reflection of the original set over the line y=x. This means that the two sets are geometrically related and have the same points, but with different coordinates.

How is the inverse of a set of points calculated?

The inverse of a set of points can be calculated by switching the x and y coordinates of each point in the original set. This can be done manually or with the help of a computer program.

What are some real-life applications of using the inverse of a set of points?

The inverse of a set of points can be used in graphics and image processing, as well as in data analysis and curve fitting. It can also be applied in geometry and physics, such as in reflections and transformations of objects.