Writing a letter asking for possible assignment

In summary: Thank you so much for your time and I will be sure to contact you soon to follow up on this! In summary, Professor X, your former student/co-author/insert relationship here, gave me your email address because I am a junior undergrad in physics at university Z and am interested in doing research in [field]. Would it be possible to work with you this summer?That you, that was just what i needed to hear to just do it. Thank you so much for your time and I will be sure to contact you soon to follow up on this!
sz0
Hello, i seem to have a conundrum on my hands that i hope the kind people on here might be able to give me some tips about how to handle.

I am currecntly working on my bachelor degree in physics, and have one more year before I'm finnished with that and will go on to my masters(and finally phd).
Recently at a social gathering I was conversing with a exchange student doing his master thesis.
I mentioned my interest in going into a sertain field of recearch, he then gave me the email of someone he knew in this field to contact. Becuse maybe i could do some sort of job for this person during the summer or something like that.

I now am quite excited about this oppertunity, but at the same time realize that i as a bachelor student lack any signifigant knowledge about anything.But I figure if he tells me I'm useless I'm not worse of then if I do nothing anyway, yet I get very anxius about this. Could you guys maybe advise me as to what I should write to this person and if this sort of thing is a common way to get a foot in?
Is this maybe just the result of a drunk guy giving away adresses to people he hardly knows :)?

If you think this forum post is a disaster, then you realize why I was worried about writing the mail straight away. I am very thankful for anyone taking the time to respond.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go for it. The worst thing that'll happen is that he won't reply or will say no, which really isn't a big thing once you realize how much email professors are inundated with.

You write a professional, cordial, business letter similar to:

Hello Professor X,
Y, your former student/co-author/insert relationship here, gave me your email address because I am a junior undergrad in physics at university Z and am interested in doing research in [field]. Would it be possible to work with you this summer?

That you, that was just what i needed to hear to just do it.

Related to Writing a letter asking for possible assignment

1. How do I start my letter asking for a possible assignment?

The best way to start your letter is by introducing yourself and explaining the reason for writing the letter. You can also mention any relevant qualifications or experience that make you suitable for the assignment. It is important to be specific and concise in your opening paragraph.

2. What should I include in the body of my letter?

In the body of your letter, you should provide a detailed explanation of why you are interested in the assignment and how you can contribute to it. You can also mention any relevant skills or experience that make you a strong candidate. It is important to be persuasive and showcase your enthusiasm and qualifications.

3. How should I address the recipient of my letter?

You should address the recipient using their proper title and name. If you are not sure about their title, it is best to use "Dear Hiring Manager" or "Dear [Company Name] Recruiter". Avoid using generic greetings like "To Whom It May Concern" as they can come across as impersonal.

4. Is it necessary to include a resume with my letter?

It is not necessary to include a resume with your letter, but it can be helpful to provide additional information about your qualifications and experience. If you do choose to include a resume, make sure it is tailored to the specific assignment and highlights your relevant skills and achievements.

5. How should I end my letter?

You should end your letter by thanking the recipient for considering your request and expressing your enthusiasm for the assignment. You can also mention that you are looking forward to hearing back from them. Make sure to include your contact information so they can easily reach you if they have any further questions or updates regarding the assignment.