Types of Electromagnetic Radiation for Imaging Earth from Space

In summary, the types of electromagnetic radiation used to obtain images of Earth from space include light and radio waves. Light is used by putting a big mirror in orbit and looking at it through a telescope, while radio waves are used to relay bitmapped pictures. The nearest star, Alpha Centauri A, is 4.07 x 10^16 m from Earth, which is equal to approximately 4.30 light years. Stating stellar distance in light years rather than meters is advantageous because it makes the distances easier to understand and also gives a sense of the amount of time being looked at in history.
Invisible
Hello everyone. I have a question and I'm not sure how to answer it.

Q: Name the types of electromagnetic radiation that are used to obtain images of Earth from space. In each case include a concise description as well as the frequency or wavelength range.

BTW, I think I'll probably be only using this thread each time I need help, so I hope that's okay with everybody!

Physics news on Phys.org
Invisible said:
Hello everyone. I have a question and I'm not sure how to answer it.

Q: Name the types of electromagnetic radiation that are used to obtain images of Earth from space. In each case include a concise description as well as the frequency or wavelength range.

BTW, I think I'll probably be only using this thread each time I need help, so I hope that's okay with everybody!

Well, I suppose one could put a big mirror in orbit, then look at it through a telescope and see an image of the Earth in the mirror: that would be using light but i don't believe that's ever actually been done.

The only way I can think of that electromagnetic radiation has been used to get images of the Earth from space is by relaying bitmapped pictures by radio waves. Hmmm, do they use micro-waves for that now?

Question: The nearest star, Alpha Centauri A, is 4.07 x 10^16 m from Earth.

a. How many light years is it away from Earth?
b. What is the advantage of stating stellar distance in light years rather than meters?

Part A, I got stuck because I don't know wheither to use the distance from the star to Earth, or the 9.46 x 10^15 m which is the distance light can travel in 1 year.

I'm not sure, but for Part A, I divided the distance from AC to Earth by the distance light travels in one year and got 4.30 light-years. I don't know if I did it right, so can someone check my solution?

And I have no idea what this answer is:

What is the advantage of stating stellar distance in light-years rather than meters?

Last edited:
Invisible said:
Question: The nearest star, Alpha Centauri A, is 4.07 x 10^16 m from Earth.

a. How many light years is it away from Earth?
b. What is the advantage of stating stellar distance in light years rather than meters?

Part A, I got stuck because I don't know wheither to use the distance from the star to Earth, or the 9.46 x 10^15 m which is the distance light can travel in 1 year.

I'm not sure, but for Part A, I divided the distance from AC to Earth by the distance light travels in one year and got 4.30 light-years. I don't know if I did it right, so can someone check my solution?

And I have no idea what this answer is:

What is the advantage of stating stellar distance in light-years rather than meters?

for B i wud assume its because in meters the distances are huge so to use them in light years tends to make it a bit easier to understand ... (just a guess)

and yes you should divide the distance between AC and Earth by the distance light travels in a year, but 4.3 light years sounds wrong m8 i believe closest star is 20 light years + away ... not sure tho just my 2 cents

BananaMan said:
for B i wud assume its because in meters the distances are huge so to use them in light years tends to make it a bit easier to understand ... (just a guess)

That IS the answer. We never want to write really big or small numbers, because it's more work to write and it is more difficult to comprehend. A second reason to use lightyears is because it gives us the amount of time we are looking in history of the specific star.

And, yes, alpha centuari (strictly speaking proxima centauri is the star closest to earth- alpha centauri is actually a triple star system with "proxima" be the one of the three closest) is about 4.3 light years from earth- certainly not "20 light years"!

1. What is the difference between science and physics?

Science is a broad term that refers to the systematic study of the natural world, including all of its phenomena and processes. Physics is a specific branch of science that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. How is the scientific method used in physics?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting experiments and making observations in order to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world. In physics, this method is used to formulate and test theories, make predictions, and gather evidence to support or refute those theories.

3. What are the main principles of physics?

The main principles of physics include the laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, the theory of relativity, and the principles of electromagnetism. These principles explain the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. How is mathematics used in physics?

Mathematics is essential in physics because it allows scientists to quantify and describe the relationships between different physical quantities. Equations and formulas are used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has many real-world applications, including the development of technology such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment. It also helps us understand natural phenomena like weather patterns, the behavior of materials, and the movements of celestial bodies.