Power Cables Info: Amperage, Current, Wattage & More

In summary, Sheldon is looking for cables with low mass, high voltage, and a few MWs. He also wants to know about the dimensions, materials, and amperage per cross section area.
drag
Science Advisor
Greetings !

I was searching for this on the web for a couple of
days and found practicly nothing. This is highly unfortunate
because it means that not only did I not get the
info I wanted but I'm also lousy when it comes to such searches
(and I was actually of the opposite opinion prior to that ).
Please, help !

I need data on high voltage power cables - amperage per
cross section area, current, wattage, voltage, tensile
strenght, dimensions, materials - everything ! Also, info
on more effective than ussual power cables rarely used (due
to costs and so on, not interested in super-conductors unless
you can find some that'll work up to room temprature ).

Thanks ! :smile:

Live long and prosper.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks sheldon ! :smile:

Unfortunetly, I still couldn't find cables with the full data
I need. Anybody ? :frown:

Originally posted by drag
Thanks sheldon ! :smile:

Unfortunetly, I still couldn't find cables with the full data
I need. Anybody ? :frown:

I would get some names and contact the manufacturers directly. Usually large companies will have at least one scientist or engineer that will tell you as much as you can stand.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Well, the primary things I want are - low mass, high voltage
(use for a large distance) and a few MWs going through.

Thanks ! :smile:

I am sorry, but that simply isn't enough info for me to help. You haven't specified a distance you are going, what you are intending on powering, What voltage levels are you trying to reach, all this information would be helpful so anybody on here could help you. Is it a secret invention?

Greetings !
Originally posted by sheldon
I am sorry, but that simply isn't enough info for me to help.
Well, I wasn't asking for THE cable. Just some general
info on the appropriate range of possibilities. :wink:
You haven't specified a distance you are going,
Let's say between a mile and up to a few hundred miles.
what you are intending on powering,
Doesn't matter with a transformator. :wink:
What voltage levels are you trying to reach,
Appropriate for low power loss at such distance ranges.
all this information would be helpful so anybody on here
could help you.
Thank you. :smile:
Is it a secret invention?
Not invention, but I was thinking about some interesting
ways to provide power to various distant locations across
various "unfriendly" territories.

Live long and prosper.

You explained that you are going to transform back down from any voltage level so it doesn't matter what you’re powering. All you really need to know is the higher the voltage the smaller the current and since the current is smaller the conductor can be smaller, but the insulation level must be increased. You may have problems keeping the wires from breaking if you go to thin unless you add extra support in which case you might as well utilize traditional power lines and transformers as they would be cheaper and available. You want to go through unfriendly territories; this could mean all kinds of things. I will assume the worse, a war zone. In that case you would have to transmit it without wires to prevent the enemy from cutting your cables. You could laser it or use concentrated rf or use resonant tesla coil transmitter and receiver and transmit it through the ground or air, or construct mini power plants at each location, or mobile power plants. Or if your looking to just get power there, you could should a rocket at your target area with a tether wire attached to it. Don’t worry about insulation and safety cause you would just use such a high voltage the current would be too low to hurt anything and just transform it down as long as you can. The wire could just lie on the ground that would relieve it from the stress of stretching it in the air. It would be hard to spot because of it being thin. I personally don’t think you need to worry so much about the actual specs of the wire, most of the sizes are determined from safety of use. A conductor can actually transmit quite a lot of power before melt down and the codes go well beyond those levels just for safety reasons. If you’re in some unsafe areas in the first place why worry about that? So figure out what size wire you want and just increase voltage accordingly to decrease current, get matching xformers and tadaa.

Perhaps he is talking about rough terrain, mountains and such?

Just use 8 gauge speaker wire and duct tape, you can do anything with it.

edit:

O.K. guys, I was still kin'na hoping to find cable data,
but you've sure helped me. Thanks ! :smile:

What is the difference between amperage, current, and wattage?

Amperage, current, and wattage are all related to the flow of electricity. Amperage is a measure of the amount of electrical current flowing through a wire. Current refers to the actual flow of electricity, while wattage is a measure of the amount of power being used by an electrical device.

How is amperage related to the thickness of a power cable?

The thickness, or gauge, of a power cable is directly related to its amperage capacity. A thicker cable has a lower resistance to electricity, allowing more current to flow through it. As a result, thicker cables have a higher amperage capacity.

What is the maximum amperage a power cable can handle?

The maximum amperage a power cable can handle depends on its gauge and the material it is made of. Generally, a standard household power cable can handle up to 15-20 amps, while thicker cables used for industrial purposes can handle much higher amperages.

What factors affect the amperage capacity of a power cable?

The amperage capacity of a power cable is affected by several factors, including the gauge of the cable, the material it is made of, the length of the cable, and the temperature of the environment it is used in. Higher temperatures can decrease the amperage capacity of a cable, while using a thicker or higher quality cable can increase its capacity.

How do I calculate the amperage of a specific electrical device?

To calculate the amperage of an electrical device, you can use the formula: amperage (A) = wattage (W) / voltage (V). First, determine the wattage of the device, which is usually listed on the device or in its manual. Then, determine the voltage of the power source the device is connected to. Divide the wattage by the voltage to get the amperage.