-write expression in expanded form...find the sum

In summary, the conversation discussed expanding expressions and finding their sums. The first expression (9) was expanded and simplified to equal -6. The second expression (10) was almost fully expanded, with the exception of the 4(4-1) term, and simplified to equal 40. The third expression (11) was an infinite geometric series that converges to a constant, with the first three terms expanded and simplified to equal 10. The conversation also mentioned the difficulty of expanding and manipulating these expressions and the desire for a tool to easily convert LaTeX to images for use in other places.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
nmh{2000} index{expanded form}
write each expression in expanded form and then find the sum
$
\begin{array}{l}
{{9}{\mathrm{)}}\hspace{0.33em}\hspace{0.33em}\hspace{0.33em}\mathop{\sum}\limits_{{n}\mathrm{{=}}{3}}\limits^{5}{\mathrm{(}{n}^{2}}\mathrm{{-}}{2}^{n}{\mathrm{)}}}=(3^2-2^3)+(4^2-2^4)+(5^2-2^5)=-6
\\{{\mathrm{10}}{\mathrm{)}}\hspace{0.33em}\hspace{0.33em}\mathop{\sum}\limits_{{t}\mathrm{{=}}{1}}\limits^{5}{{t}{\mathrm{(}}{t}\mathrm{{-}}{1}{\mathrm{)}}}}
=1(1-1)+2(2-1)+3(3-1)+5(5-1)=40
\\{{\mathrm{11}}{\mathrm{)}}\hspace{0.33em}\hspace{0.33em}\mathop{\sum}\limits_{{i}\mathrm{{=}}{1}}\limits^{\mathrm{\infty}}{\mathrm{10}{\mathrm{\left({\frac{1}{2}}\right)}}^{i}}}
+10\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^1
+10\left(\frac{1}{2}\right))^2
+10\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^3
...=10\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^i=10
\end{array}
$
hoped answers ok
no sure how to expand 11)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
9. Correct.

10. You omitted the 4(4 - 1) term, otherwise correct.

11. It's an infinite geometric series that converges to a constant. Given that

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\dfrac12\right)^{1/2}=\dfrac12\lim_{n\to\infty}\dfrac{1-r^n}{1-r}$$

with $r=\dfrac12$, can you compute the result?

Edit: Didn't see the '10' on the right. Ah well, no harm done. As for an expansion, what you have is sufficient I think, just omit the $10\left(\dfrac12\right)^i$ between the expansion and the '10'. ;)

Last edited:
Okay gotit
Don't find these easy😩😩😩

Mahalo

BTW I tried math magic but wasn't worth it
However be nice to have the option
to render latex into an image if we want to use it someplace else

Cropping it out of post with gray background is painful

Related to -write expression in expanded form...find the sum

1. What does it mean to write an expression in expanded form?

Writing an expression in expanded form means to break down a numerical or algebraic expression into its individual terms and show all the operations involved. For example, the expression 3(x+2) would be written in expanded form as 3x+6.

2. How do I write an expression in expanded form?

To write an expression in expanded form, start by identifying all the terms and operations involved. Then, distribute any coefficients to their corresponding terms and combine like terms. Finally, rearrange the terms in ascending or descending order based on the given variables.

3. Can you give an example of writing an expression in expanded form?

Sure, let's take the expression 5(2x-3). First, distribute the coefficient of 5 to each term inside the parentheses: 5(2x)-5(3). Next, simplify each term: 10x-15. This is the expression in expanded form.

4. Why is writing an expression in expanded form important?

Writing an expression in expanded form allows for a better understanding of the individual terms and operations involved in a given expression. It also helps in simplifying and solving complex expressions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. How do I find the sum of an expression written in expanded form?

To find the sum of an expression written in expanded form, simply add all the individual terms together. For example, in the expression 5x+2y+3z, the sum would be 5x+2y+3z. If there are like terms, combine them before adding. For instance, in the expression 2x+3x, the sum would be 5x.