Write a Function in Ti 89 titanium

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing a saved function on a TI-89 calculator. The goal is to be able to call the function at will, similar to built-in functions like cos() or ln(). The function is intended to take in 3 arguments and output 1. The conversation also mentions difficulties with using the "store" key when writing the function and the lack of a "shift key" for capitalizing variables. The conclusion is that user-defined functions can be written, but may be challenging for complicated expressions.
Saladsamurai
Hello,

I wish to write a function that takes in 3 arguments and outputs 1. I want it to be a saved function so that I can call it at will like cos() or ln()

How do i go about doing this? I am unsure of the syntax.

Let's say it is really simple like:

f(x,y,z)=x+y+z

So from the home screen I would like to type f(1,2,3) and have it return 6

Any thoughts?

EDIT: okay so maybe that is easier than I thought. The problem I am running into is that you cannot use the "store" key when writing a function.

For example if I wanted to write the above like this:

f(x,y,z)
Func
(x+y)->A
Return A+z
EndFunc

I cannot. I have to write:

f(x,y,z)
Func
Return x+y+z
EndFuncAlso, is there a "shift key" that will make my variables Capital if I need E instead of e ?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
MATLABdude said:
From a Google search for ti-89 function:
http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/physics/CalcNet/Calculator/ti_89/user-defined_functions.htm

You can probably do this as long as the function is not overly complicated

Yeah. That is a "user-defined" as in, you need to redefine it every time you need it.

I edited my OP. What I posted shows how to do it from program editor-->functions

Unfortunately, if it is a complicated expression, it is a bi##h to write as you cannot break it down into simpler components using the store button.

Related to Write a Function in Ti 89 titanium

1. How do I write a function in Ti 89 titanium?

To write a function in Ti 89 titanium, you can use the built-in function editor. Press the "F2" key on your calculator to open the editor, then use the arrow keys to navigate and enter your function. You can also use the "Define" command in the "Catalog" menu to create a new function.

2. What is the syntax for writing a function in Ti 89 titanium?

The syntax for writing a function in Ti 89 titanium is "function name (input) := expression". The input can be a single variable or a list of variables, and the expression can be any mathematical operation or function. Make sure to use the colon-equals sign (:=) to define the function.

3. Can I use conditional statements in a function in Ti 89 titanium?

Yes, you can use conditional statements such as "if" and "else" in a function in Ti 89 titanium. These statements allow you to create different outcomes for different conditions, making your function more versatile and useful.

4. How do I test my function in Ti 89 titanium?

To test your function in Ti 89 titanium, you can use the "Evaluate" command in the "Catalog" menu. This allows you to input values for the function's variables and see the result. You can also use the "Graph" command to see a visual representation of your function.

5. Can I save and use my function in multiple programs in Ti 89 titanium?

Yes, you can save your function in Ti 89 titanium and use it in multiple programs. To do so, you can use the "Save" command in the "File" menu to save your function as a program. You can then call the function in any program by using the "Call" command followed by the function name.