Would this wheel spin from magnetic force?

In summary, The conversation discusses the idea of using a windmill-like wheel with powerful magnets on each blade to create a spinning motion. The idea is dismissed as unlikely, but the concept of using magnets to create a spinning motion is explored.
ShaneD
Recently I was thinking random thoughts and thought to myself, if there was a windmill like wheel with powerful magnets on each blade, would it spin? Here is a poorly drawn picture to help explain myself:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/magneticwheel.png/ [WARNING -- a user has reported that this link freezes his browser. --bcrowell]

The N's and S's are representing the different poles. Excuse my poor paintdrawing skills... lol paint is difficult to be precise in :P

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't spin(it doesn't seem likely), but can any of you think of a structure that would spin? This sort of stuff interests me. Thanks :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
clicking that link gave me a forced Mac modal-box pop-up blurb. Had to restart browser. Just saying.

Hi ShaneD, welcome to PF!

You can certainly put magnets on a rotor and make it spin, that is what an electric motor does. Of course, you obviously also have to create a field outside of the rotor to push it. That assembly is called the stator.

Related to Would this wheel spin from magnetic force?

1. How does magnetic force make a wheel spin?

Magnetic force is a type of force that occurs between two objects that have a magnetic field. When a magnet is placed near a wheel, the magnetic field of the magnet interacts with the magnetic field of the wheel. This interaction creates a force that causes the wheel to spin.

2. Can any type of wheel spin from magnetic force?

No, not all wheels can spin from magnetic force. The wheel must be made of a material that is attracted to magnets, such as iron or steel. Additionally, the wheel must have a magnetic field that can interact with the magnetic field of the external magnet.

3. How strong does the magnetic force need to be to make a wheel spin?

The strength of the magnetic force needed to make a wheel spin depends on the weight and size of the wheel, as well as the strength of the external magnet. Generally, the stronger the magnet, the stronger the magnetic force will be and the faster the wheel will spin.

4. Will the wheel continue to spin indefinitely from magnetic force?

No, the wheel will eventually stop spinning due to friction and air resistance. The strength of the magnetic force will also decrease as the distance between the magnet and the wheel increases.

5. Are there any real-world applications of magnetic force making a wheel spin?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of magnetic force making a wheel spin. One example is in generators, where a rotating wheel is turned by magnetic force, creating electricity. Another example is in magnetic levitation trains, where the wheels are suspended and propelled by magnetic force.