Would someone explain the class equation and its corrolaries for me?

In summary, the class equation states that the equivalence class of a given element is the sum of the left cosets of the element.
AdrianZ
I've read about the class equation on Herstein's abstract algebra but haven't understood it well. Would someone here explain the class equation to me and give a short proof for it and then tell me where it can be used?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, i'll start with the highest-level explanation i can, and if we need to, we'll work our way down.

first of all, we can define an equivalence relation on G, by x~y iff x = gxg-1 for some g in G.

an equivalence relation partitions a set into disjoint subsets, the equivalence classes. so it is natural to ask what is the equivalence class of x, [x], under ~?

well, clearly it is the set of all conjugates of x, {gxg-1: g in G}.

now, consider the subgroup N(x) = {g in G: gx = xg}, that is, every element of G that commutes with x. if n is in N(x), then nxn-1 = xnn-1 = x.

so every element of N(x) just gives x upon conjugation.

what we want to show is that there is a bijection between the set of all conjugates of x (that is, the equivalence class [x]) and the set of left cosets gN(x).

suppose two conjugates of x are the same:

so gxg-1 = hxh-1. then,

x = g-1hxh-1g = (g-1h)x(g-1h)-1, that is:

(g-1h)x = x(g-1h).

this means that g-1h is in N(x), so gN(x) = hN(x).

this means that the map gN(x) → gxg-1 is injective, provided it is well-defined.

well suppose h is in gN(x), so h = gn, for some n in N(x).

then hxh-1 = (gn)x(gn)-1 = g(nxn-1)g-1

= gxg-1 (since n is in N(x), and thus commutes with x).

so our map is indeed well-defined, it only depends on the coset gN(x), and not on the element we pick from it to represent it.

clearly this map is surjective, too, since any conjugate gxg-1 of x has the pre-image the coset of N(x) which contains g.

so gN(x) → gxg-1 is indeed a bijection between the (left) cosets of N(x) and the conjugates of x in [x].

but we can count the number of cosets of a subgroup rather easily, it is the index of the subgroup in G.

thus: |[x]| = [G:N(x)], there are exactly as many conjugates of x, as there are cosets of the normalizer of x.

now |G| is just the sum of the sizes of these equivalence classes, so we have:

[tex]|G| = \sum_{[x]} [G:N(x)][/tex], where we count each equivalence class only once.

this is almost the class equation. one more wrinkle to work out. if x is in the center of G, so that xg = gx, for every g in G, it's normalizer N(x) is all of G. so in this case, [G:N(x)] = [G:G] = 1.

rather than sum these all "one at a time", we just count them "all at once" by finding the order of the center. this gives us:

[tex]|G| = |Z(G)| + \sum_{x \not \in Z(G)} [G:N(x)][/tex]

where again, we only sum over distinct conjugacy classes.

Isn't N(x) (as you've defined it) actually the centralizer of x?

Edit: I see, the centralizer is the normalizer of [itex] \{x\}[/itex]. Sorry!

the normalizer is the centralizer if you take S to be just an element i.e. x^-1 S x = S

for a set S, with |S| > 1, the centralizer of S, CG(S) = {g in G: gx = xg, for all x in S}, whereas the normalizer of S, NG(S) = {g in G: gSg-1 = S}.

but if |S| = 1, that is: S = {x}, then

gxg-1 = x is equivalent to gx = xg.

Related to Would someone explain the class equation and its corrolaries for me?

1. What exactly is the class equation in science?

The class equation is a mathematical formulation used to describe the relationships between the elements of a group or system. It is often used in the field of group theory and helps to understand the structure and behavior of complex systems.

2. How is the class equation applied in scientific research?

The class equation is used to simplify complex systems and identify patterns or relationships between the elements within the system. It also helps to predict the behavior of the system and make predictions about future outcomes.

3. What are the corollaries of the class equation?

The corollaries of the class equation are additional mathematical principles or conclusions that can be drawn from the original equation. These corollaries help to further understand the system and its behavior.

4. Can you provide an example of the class equation and its corollaries in action?

One example of the class equation and its corollaries can be seen in the study of genetics. The class equation would be used to identify relationships between genes and their expression, while the corollaries would help to predict the inheritance patterns and traits of offspring.

5. How does understanding the class equation benefit scientific research?

Understanding the class equation can help scientists to better understand the structure and behavior of complex systems, make predictions about future outcomes, and identify patterns or relationships within the system. This can lead to advancements in various fields of science, such as genetics, physics, and chemistry.