Would someone be able to isolate v?

• Thread starter terff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    variable
In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help in isolating variable v for a derived equation in a physics group lab. The student has attempted to solve the equation multiple times but always gets the wrong answer. After receiving guidance, the student realizes their mistake and correctly solves for v, getting the expected answer.
terff

Homework Statement

So I have a group lab for physics, but I need some alg/trig help isolating v for a derived equation.
I've tried many times to to get v0 by itself but when I check the equation with the values that I have for each variable I always get the wrong answer.
∆y = v0(sinθ)(∆x/v0(cosθ)) + ½(a)(∆x/v0(cosθ))2)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well my attempt was,
∆y = v0(sinθ)(∆x/v0(cosθ)) + ½(a)(∆x/v0(cosθ))2
then simplify the fractions in the addition
∆y = (sinθ)∆x/cosθ + (a)(∆x2)/(2v02(cosθ)2)
and then multiply by cosθ2 on both sides
∆y(cosθ)2 = (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x) + (a)(∆x2)/2v02
subtract (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x) on both sides
∆y(cosθ)2 - (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x) = (a)(∆x2)/2v02
multiply 2v02 on both sides, then divide by 2∆y(cosθ)2 - (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x) to get
v02 by itself
(a)(∆x2)/(2∆y(cosθ)2 - (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x)) = v02
and then sqrt both sides
√(a(∆x2)/(2∆y(cosθ)2 - (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x))) = v0

I tried it a few times with known values, once it came back correct, but with the other values, I tried multiple times and always got a wrong answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
terff said:
1. Homework Statement
So I have a group lab for physics, but I need some alg/trig help isolating v for a derived equation.
I've tried many times to to get v0 by itself but when I check the equation with the values that I have for each variable I always get the wrong answer.
So this equation, and you want to put it in the form ##v_0=\cdots##

Well my attempt was,
... this first line is different from what you wrote above. Which is it?

Continuing form here, am I reading that correctly? You wrote:
$$\Delta y = v_0\sin\theta\left(\frac{\Delta x}{v_0\cos\theta}\right) + \frac{1}{2}a\left( \frac{\Delta x}{v_0\cos\theta} \right)^2$$
... that looks likely since it appears to be a ballistics calculation with ##\Delta x/(v_0\cos\theta)## being the time of flight, and a will end up being -g.

This simplifies to:
$$2 (\Delta y \cos^2\theta)v_0^2 = (2 \Delta x \sin\theta\cos\theta)v_0^2 + a(\Delta x)^2$$ ... which seems straight forward enough;

I tried it a few times with known values, once it came back correct, but with the other values, I tried multiple times and always got a wrong answer.
... how did you know you got the wrong answer?

terff said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Well my attempt was,
then simplify the fractions in the addition
∆y = (sinθ)∆x/cosθ + (a)(∆x2)/(2v02(cosθ)2)
and then multiply by cosθ2 on both sides
∆y(cosθ)2 = (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x) + (a)(∆x2)/2v02
subtract (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x) on both sides
∆y(cosθ)2 - (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x) = (a)(∆x2)/2v02
multiply 2v02 on both sides, then divide by 2∆y(cosθ)2 - (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x) to get
v02 by itself
(a)(∆x2)/(2∆y(cosθ)2 - (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x)) = v02
and then sqrt both sides
√(a(∆x2)/(2∆y(cosθ)2 - (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x))) = v0

I will write v instead of v0, and x, y instead of Δx, Δy. So, your equation is
[tex] y = \frac{v \sin(\theta) x}{v \cos(\theta)} + \frac{a}{2} \left( \frac{x}{v \cos(\theta)} \right)^2 = x\tan(\theta)+ \frac{a x^2}{2 v^2 \cos(\theta)^2}[/tex]
The solution is straightforward:
[tex] v = \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left| \frac{x}{\cos(\theta)}\right| \sqrt{ \frac{a}{y - x \tan(\theta)}} [/tex]

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
So this equation, and you want to put it in the form ##v_0=\cdots##

... this first line is different from what you wrote above. Which is it?

Continuing form here, am I reading that correctly? You wrote:
$$\Delta y = v_0\sin\theta\left(\frac{\Delta x}{v_0\cos\theta}\right) + \frac{1}{2}a\left( \frac{\Delta x}{v_0\cos\theta} \right)^2$$
... that looks likely since it appears to be a ballistics calculation with ##\Delta x/(v_0\cos\theta)## being the time of flight, and a will end up being -g.

This simplifies to:
$$2 (\Delta y \cos^2\theta)v_0^2 = (2 \Delta x \sin\theta\cos\theta)v_0^2 + a(\Delta x)^2$$ ... which seems straight forward enough;

... how did you know you got the wrong answer?

Ahh my apologies,
[itex]∆y = v(sinθ)(\frac{∆x}{v0(cosθ)}) + \frac {1}{2}(a)(\frac{∆x}{v0(cosθ)^2})[/itex]
is the equation, and yes that is what I wrote.

In my final equation
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2a∆x}{2∆y(cosθ)^2 - (cosθ)(sinθ)(∆x)}} = v[/itex]
substituted the following variables
θ angle= 60º
∆x= 3.78 m
∆y= -.268 m
ay= -9.8 m/s2
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2(-9.8)(3.78)}{2(-.268)(cos60º)^2 - (cos60º)(sin60º)(3.78)}} = v[/itex]
and I was supposed to get 6.87 m/s for v
instead I was getting 8.56

Ahh my apologies,
$$\Delta y = v(\sin\theta)\left(\frac{\Delta x}{v_0\cos\theta}\right) + \frac{1}{2}(a)\left(\frac{\Delta x}{v_0(\cos\theta)^2}\right)$$
is the equation, and yes that is what I wrote.
... That equation is incorrect: check by dimensional analysis and redo the derivation.
(Assuming the leading "v" is a typo and should be ##v_0##?)

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
... check that equation by dimensional analysis.
oops I realize another mistake I did in that equation $$\Delta y = v_0\sin\theta\left(\frac{\Delta x}{v_0\cos\theta}\right) + \frac{1}{2}a\left( \frac{\Delta x}{v_0\cos\theta} \right)^2$$ is correct, the squared is in the wrong place in my fraction.

[itex]-0.268 = v(0.866)(\frac{3.78}{v(0.5)}) + \frac {1}{2}(-9.8)(\frac{3.78}{v(0.5)})^2[/itex]

I got 6.4104

I got 6.4104
...m/s yep real physicists get fussy about units too.

Always state the units somewhere.

It is likely the equation is correct now - I cannot be sure because I don't know the experiment you did.
Where does the "correct" value come from? How do you know it's correct?

It looks like you have substituted the values in too soon though ... do the algebra first.

As a rule - the values you measure in the experiment are "correct".
They are the values you got - unless someone wants to say you are lying. Maybe you made a mistake in measurement, maybe you rounded off too far or failed to account for some variation in an instrument reading? If your values disagree with some theoretical value, then your conclusion will state that your results did not support the theory... but you do want to rule out some silly rounding or arithmetic error first.

Related to Would someone be able to isolate v?

1. What is "v" in this context?

In this context, "v" refers to a variable in an experiment or scientific study.

2. How would someone isolate "v"?

The process of isolating "v" depends on the specific experiment or study being conducted. Generally, it involves controlling all other variables and manipulating only "v" in order to observe its effects on the outcome of the experiment.

3. Why is it important to isolate "v"?

Isolating "v" allows for a more accurate and reliable conclusion about its role and impact in the experiment. It helps eliminate potential confounding variables that could skew the results and allows for a better understanding of the relationship between "v" and the outcome.

4. What are some techniques for isolating "v"?

Some techniques for isolating "v" include using control groups, randomization, and blinding. Control groups allow for a comparison between a group that is exposed to "v" and a group that is not. Randomization helps eliminate bias in assigning subjects to groups. Blinding ensures that both researchers and participants are unaware of which group is receiving "v".

5. What are the limitations of isolating "v"?

While isolating "v" is important for controlling the experiment, it is not always possible to completely isolate it from other variables. There may be unforeseen factors that could influence the outcome, and it is impossible to control for every single variable. Additionally, isolating "v" in a controlled experiment may not always accurately reflect its effects in real-life situations.