Would like some advice on class schedule next semester (Chem vs CS)

In summary, the person is a community college student who is close to transferring to a 4-year university as a Physics major. They are currently enrolled in all the necessary classes for transfer, including Differential Equations, General Physics, and Plant Biology. They are considering adding an additional class, either a Chemistry or C++ Programming class, or doing research. They have been cautious about their workload in the past but have developed good study habits and have mostly received A's in their math and science classes. They have a 1.5 year gap in courses due to a military deployment but have been reviewing and reading ahead during that time. They are unsure of what would be best for them considering their situation. The conversation also includes a discussion about the
cryora
I am a community college student with one semester worth of classes away from transferring to a 4-year university as a Physics major. Currently, I'm enrolled in all the classes I need for transfer:

Differential Equations - 5 units
General Physics (Modern Physics) last of a 4 class series - 5 units
Plant Biology - 4 units

I'm wondering if I should just focus on what I have and do well, or if I should take an additional class, either a 5 unit Chem 102 class or a 4 unit CS C++ Programming class or something else, or maybe research. I've already taken a Chem 101 and CS Fundamentals class, so I already have some exposure to those subjects.

Ever since I screwed up my first year in college, I've always been cautious about my workload, never taking more than 15 units a semester, but I have developed good habits and managed to get all A's except one B in my math and science classes. On the other hand, I just got back from a military deployment, so by the time I start class next semester, I would have a 1.5 year gap of not having taken any courses (other than an online Critical Thinking course), although during this time I did do a bit of reviewing and reading ahead. I'm just wondering what would be best considering my situation.

Thanks, and I greatly appreciate your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drop plant bio and do do molecular/cell bio, what previous programming language did you learn? Dependent on that I would most likely suggest Chem.

Differential Equations and a class on modern physics seems like that would be quite a work load in and of itself, when added with biology. What is your major? It might help to know what you intend to do as it could help determine how relevant the choice is.

Student100 said:
Drop plant bio and do do molecular/cell bio, what previous programming language did you learn? Dependent on that I would most likely suggest Chem.

I learned C++, which covered if/else statements, loops, arrays, vectors, strings, functions, and file streaming.
The second C++ class is a continuation of the above, and basically uses the 2nd half of the same textbook. Speaking of which, I could probably learn on my own given enough time. So Chem probably would be the better class to take.

I'm wondering why the preference of molecular/cell bio over plant bio? Is it because molecular bio is more useful?

MathWarrior said:
Differential Equations and a class on modern physics seems like that would be quite a work load in and of itself, when added with biology. What is your major? It might help to know what you intend to do as it could help determine how relevant the choice is.

That's true. Maybe what I'll do is attempt the extra class to see how I handle it, and then drop it if it's too much. My major is Physics, but I haven't really decided on a specialization. I'm hoping I can get a better idea of what I want to get into when I get to upper division, but I am considering Accelerator Physics from reading the boards here.

Thanks again.

It's more useful if you end up doing anything biophysics related, and is just generally a more interesting and rigorous class. Since you've been exposed to OOP I'd say Chem is a more appropriate class to take.

DE and QM both were pretty easy classes that I remember, so you can try taking them and droppIing if the course load is to great.

I wouldn't worry too much about C++. Take chem.

C++ is not a standard language in the physics community. In fact, the standard language completely changes based on your research interests. In undergrad you should only expect a primer in coding that prepares you to learn a new language as needed. From now on, just play with C++ on your own time.

You may also enjoy working with Mathematica.

Related to Would like some advice on class schedule next semester (Chem vs CS)

1. Should I take Chemistry or Computer Science next semester?

This is a personal decision and depends on your academic goals and interests. Consider which subject aligns more with your career goals and which you enjoy more.

2. Will one class be more difficult than the other?

Both Chemistry and Computer Science can be challenging courses, but the level of difficulty may vary depending on your strengths and weaknesses. It's important to consider your previous experience and comfort level with each subject.

3. Can I take both Chemistry and Computer Science in the same semester?

It is possible to take both courses in the same semester, but it may be a heavy workload. Make sure to consider your other classes and commitments before making this decision.

4. Which class will be more beneficial for my future career?

This depends on your career goals and the industry you want to work in. Both Chemistry and Computer Science have a wide range of applications and can lead to various career paths.

5. Are there any prerequisites for these courses?

Most likely, there are prerequisites for both Chemistry and Computer Science classes. Make sure to check with your academic advisor or the course catalog to see if you meet the requirements before enrolling.