Would Einstein Object? The Lorentz Transformations

• Thread starter bernhard.rothenstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary: Then you can write "at time t, M is located at position x" and "at time t', M' is located at position x'". But I think it's simpler to just talk about points in space, rather than events in spacetime.
bernhard.rothenstein
Consider the relative position of the inertial reference frames I and I’ as detected from I when the standard synchronized clocks of that frame read t. The reference frames I and I’ are in the arrangement which leads to the Lorentz transformations of the space-time coordinates of the same event. The distance between of the origins O and O’ is at that very moment V(t-0). Let M(x) and M’(x’) be two points located on the permanently overlapped OX(O’X’) axes, located ate the same point in space, when detected from I and I’ respectively. The length (x’-0) is a proper length in I. Measured from I it is the Lorentz contracted length (x’-0)/g where g is the Lorentz factor. Adding only lengths measured by observers from I the result is
(x’-0)/g=(x-0)-V(t-0). (1)
We obtain the “inverse” of (1) by changing the sign of V and interchanging the corresponding primed physical quantities with unprimed ones i.e.
(x-0)/g=(x’-0)+V(t-0) . (2)
Solving the simultaneous equations (1) and (2) for t and t’ respectively we obtain
(t-0)/g=(t’-0)+V(x’-0)/cc (3)
(t’-0)/g=(t-0)-V(x’-0)/cc (4)
Confronted with the “four line” derivation of the Lorentz transformations presented above would Einstein object?

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivation is correct (except equation (2) which should have t' instead of t, and equation (4) which should have x instead of x', which I'm sure were just typing errors when you posted this).

In an argument like this I think it's important to state clearly at the beginning what you are going to assume. In this case you assume

1. The length contraction formula (which you would have had to derive elsewhere, before this)

2. Einstein's 1st postulate is used when you argue that equation (2) follows from equation (1)

3. Einstein's 2nd postulate is also used as you use the same value of c for both observers.

When you say "Let M(x) and M’(x’) be two points located on the permanently overlapped OX(O’X’) axes, located at the same point in space, when detected from I and I’ respectively." what you really mean is "M(x) is a point located on the OX axis detected from I, M'(x') is a point located on the O'X' axis detected from I', and both points coincide at time t in I and time t' in I'".

DrGreg said:
The derivation is correct (except equation (2) which should have t' instead of t, and equation (4) which should have x instead of x', which I'm sure were just typing errors when you posted this).

In an argument like this I think it's important to state clearly at the beginning what you are going to assume. In this case you assume

1. The length contraction formula (which you would have had to derive elsewhere, before this)

2. Einstein's 1st postulate is used when you argue that equation (2) follows from equation (1)

3. Einstein's 2nd postulate is also used as you use the same value of c for both observers.

When you say "Let M(x) and M’(x’) be two points located on the permanently overlapped OX(O’X’) axes, located at the same point in space, when detected from I and I’ respectively." what you really mean is "M(x) is a point located on the OX axis detected from I, M'(x') is a point located on the O'X' axis detected from I', and both points coincide at time t in I and time t' in I'".
Thank you.
Should I say "coincide (in space? at time t in I and time t' in I'."

bernhard.rothenstein said:
Thank you.
Should I say "coincide (in space? at time t in I and time t' in I'."
When I refer to "a point on the OX axis" I think that clearly means a point in space, so when I say "when two points coincide" it can't mean anything else but "coincide in space".

If you want to talk about a "point" in spacetime, we usually call that an "event" rather than a "point". A point in space corresponds to a worldline in spacetime, so the event being referred to is where the worldlines of M(x) and M'(x') cross.

If you want to think of M as being an event rather than a point, it would be better to use a notation such as M(t,x) and M(t',x').

Related to Would Einstein Object? The Lorentz Transformations

1. What are the Lorentz Transformations?

The Lorentz Transformations are a set of equations developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz that describe how time and space coordinates change between two reference frames that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. They are an essential part of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which describes the relationship between space and time.

2. How are the Lorentz Transformations related to Einstein?

Einstein's theory of special relativity builds upon the work of Lorentz and incorporates the Lorentz Transformations as a fundamental part of the theory. In fact, Einstein's famous equation E=mc² would not have been possible without the Lorentz Transformations.

3. What is the significance of Einstein potentially objecting to the Lorentz Transformations?

If Einstein were to object to the Lorentz Transformations, it would mean that his theory of special relativity would need to be revised or potentially discarded. As one of the most influential and well-respected scientists in history, any objections from Einstein would have significant implications for our understanding of space and time.

4. Did Einstein actually object to the Lorentz Transformations?

No, Einstein did not object to the Lorentz Transformations. In fact, he praised Lorentz's work and built upon it to develop his theory of special relativity. However, Einstein did make some modifications and improvements to the equations, which are now known as the Einstein-Lorentz equations.

5. How are the Lorentz Transformations used in modern science?

The Lorentz Transformations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are essential for understanding the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which have been observed in experiments and are crucial for technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.