Would EE be the right choice for me?

• Thread starter jkface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice Ee
In summary, if you are interested in energy sources, quantum computing, and anything in the field of science fiction, EE would be a good choice for you. Other majors may also be an option, but would come with different pros and cons. Fun activities while studying EE may include working on a research project or participating in a hackathon.
jkface
I'm a 1st year college student who is strongly considering EE as my major. I am very interested in energy sources (nuclear fusion), quantum computing, and pretty much anything that might show up on science fiction movies/novels. At the moment, I am thinking about majoring in EE as an undergrad and going for physics in grad school. I know my question is pretty vague, but would EE be the right choice for me? do you recommend any other major? last but not least, what is the most fun thing you did while studying EE?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jkface said:
I'm a 1st year college student who is strongly considering EE as my major. I am very interested in energy sources (nuclear fusion), quantum computing, and pretty much anything that might show up on science fiction movies/novels. At the moment, I am thinking about majoring in EE as an undergrad and going for physics in grad school. I know my question is pretty vague, but would EE be the right choice for me? do you recommend any other major? last but not least, what is the most fun thing you did while studying EE?

These subjects of interest could be EE or Physics depending on the focus and likely have a lot of overlap in any case. Since these particular technologies are "not technological viable" just yet (fusion has been the "next big thing" since the 1950s, and quantum computers are on the cusp of reality but could still flop completely), these are a bit more in the physics side at the moment.

EE (and all engineering fields) generally take *proven* science and make it economical practical for human utility and benefit. Physics (and all science fields) generally are more interested in everything that comes before that point and in knowledge for its own sake.

These are very broad generalizations but generally true. However there is a ton of overlap so some physicist do more "applied" or "engineering"-like work while there are EEs who do more purely "science-y" work like a pure physicist proper. In the area I work in with semiconductors and microelectronics, this distinction is very blurred.

The decision of one or the other (or both) probably comes down to how much you like getting your hands into things and making things real, versus figuring out the science and nature of what it takes to making things work, both theory and experimentally.

jsgruszynski, thank you very much for your reply. i now understand much more about what i am about to get into :)

Related to Would EE be the right choice for me?

1. What is EE?

EE, or electrical engineering, is a field of study that focuses on the design, development, and testing of electrical and electronic systems. This can include everything from power generation and distribution to computer hardware and software.

2. What skills do I need to pursue a career in EE?

To be successful in EE, you should have a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as good problem-solving and critical thinking skills. You should also have an interest in technology and a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new advancements.

3. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in EE?

A degree in EE can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in industries such as telecommunications, manufacturing, aerospace, and healthcare. Some common job titles for EE graduates include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, and systems engineer.

4. Is EE a good choice for someone who wants to work in renewable energy?

Yes, EE can be a great choice for those interested in renewable energy. Many renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines, rely heavily on electrical and electronic components. With a degree in EE, you could work on designing and improving these systems to make them more efficient and sustainable.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a degree in EE?

The length of an EE degree program can vary depending on the school and whether you are pursuing a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree. On average, a bachelor's degree in EE takes four to five years to complete, while a master's can take an additional two years and a doctoral degree can take an additional four to six years.