Wormholes: Are they practical?

In summary: Unfortunately the mathematical formulae for wormholes and exotic matter are so non-trivial that they have yet to be solved by any practical methods.
Friendlyel
I was just wondering since I discussed this with some people before, but exactly how likely is it that wormholes in space-time are possible to use for transportation methods or some other form of practical use? One thing I heard as a most likely problem with it is the fact that the massive force involved in them would most likely destroy anything that would go through it - is there any possible theorem that could lead to some sort of process to keep it from feeling the weight on it as it goes through?

Physics news on Phys.org
Over the last twenty years there has been a lot of theoretical study of traversable wormholes, i.e., wormholes through which a person can make a return trip without experiencing body-altering tidal and g-forces, and without experiencing time dilation (you don't to return and find that you're older than your children).

A stable traversable wormhole requires "exotic" matter to hold it open, and exotic matter is such that some observers measure its density to be negative.

There are some hints from quantum theory that exotic matter is theoretically possible, but not everyone agrees on how much is needed, how much is posibble, etc.

Your question lies in an area of active research.

George Jones said:
Over the last twenty years there has been a lot of theoretical study of traversable wormholes, i.e., wormholes through which a person can make a return trip without experiencing body-altering tidal and g-forces, and without experiencing time dilation (you don't to return and find that you're older than your children).

Oddly, enough, even though I haven't gone through a wormhole, I'm already older than my children!

HallsofIvy said:
Oddly, enough, even though I haven't gone through a wormhole, I'm already older than my children!

Readinmg this actually made me laugh out loud!

For the sake of other people reading this thread, In my first post I meant to write:

you don't want to return and find that you're younger than your children

Just to pick on it further ;-) Any relativistic travel (sans wormhole) should suffice to return younger than your children, the wormhole trick is returning older than your parents!

I remember hearing about requiring exotic mass to create one. Is there any such element or substance with negative mass known to people right now?

The problem with workholes is that they are generally found by metric mechanics - you specify the spacetime structure you want and then invert to find the required energy distribution - generally finding it to be "wierd" and hence you are unsure if it's a physically valid description.

Related to Wormholes: Are they practical?

1. Can wormholes be used for time travel?

No, wormholes cannot be used for time travel. While they may provide a shortcut between two points in space, they do not allow for travel backwards or forwards in time.

2. Are wormholes stable enough for practical use?

The stability of wormholes is still a subject of debate among scientists. The current understanding is that natural wormholes are not stable enough for practical use, but it may be possible to create artificially stabilized wormholes in the future.

3. How do wormholes work?

Wormholes are a theoretical concept in which space-time is bent in such a way that it creates a shortcut between two distant points. This is similar to how a tunnel through a mountain can create a shortcut between two locations on the surface.

4. Are there any real-world examples of wormholes?

There are currently no known natural or artificial examples of stable wormholes. However, some scientists believe that black holes may act as portals to other regions of space-time, which could be considered a type of wormhole.

5. Could we use wormholes for interstellar travel?

At this time, wormholes are purely theoretical and there is no way to create or manipulate them for use in interstellar travel. Even if they were possible to create, the amount of energy required would be immense and currently beyond our technological capabilities.