World`s best physics Ph.D university

In summary: You don't need to write any GREs for physics. Most universities will accept either the general or advanced GREs.
saiarun
undefinedundefined

Can anyone give the link to know the world`s best physics centres or university for doing Ph.D. in experimental physics. I want to do research in American or European university. I also want to know the related entrace examinations for admissions and their eligibity.
Thanking you in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the field. Basically the quality of a PhD program is going to be determined by the quality of the faculty, as you will do most of your learning (physics skills, not material) from them while working on your thesis. So it deepends on what field, because differenct universities have different porfessors working on different projects.

Well, if ever I choose to be a professor, wherever I'll be will become the best place to do a Ph. D. :biggrin:

From what I can tell so far, schools look good sure... Princeton, CalTech, etc, but your degree will mean much more to you if you get with a good supervisor who is interested in the same things you are. Doing cosmology at Princeton might look good, but if you really want to do micro black holes, then perhaps stanford or USCB would be better.

This is probably little or no help at all but according to the "Best Graduate Schools" of 2000 (Yes, I know laugh now) from US NEWS the top physics graduate schools are as follows:
1. CAL Tech 1. Stanford 3. Harvard 3. MIT 3. Princeton 3. Berkeley 7. Cornell
7. U of Chicago 9. U of Illinois 10. Columbia (NY) 10. Santa Barbara 10. Yale and so on . . . Ranked according to 5th graders all over Siberia.

If you are interested in experimental/applied physics, look to the technological schools; MIT,CalTech, etc. Theoretical I would lean towards Stanford or Princeton. lol that's some pretty high goals there, good luck in your endeavors.

I don't know how good Cambridge University (yes, England) is with experimental physics, but I know for a fact that it is good with areas such as astrophysics. Cambridge, as far as I know, has a good reputation with the entirety of physics, so I would assume that it would also do good with experimental physics.

Since you bring up Cambridge, what would be the process in going from an AMerican undergraduate university to a doctorate at Cambridge?

university of Gent...

regards

marlon

I am an Indian doing my Masters in physics in India. I want to know the entrance exams for entering into the university's in abroad. What are the eligibilty? Do we have to publish some paper before?
Thanking you in advance.

franznietzsche said:
Since you bring up Cambridge, what would be the process in going from an AMerican undergraduate university to a doctorate at Cambridge?

I think it's probably the same as for someone who did their undergraduate in the UK. You have to fill in an application form with a research proposal and stuff, I think. Check the graduate admissions on their site for more info.

I'm currently an undergraduate physics major in the U.S. Which place would you guys suggest as being the best place to get a PhD in astrophysics? Right now I'm looking at Columbia, University of San Diego, University of Arizona, University of Illinois, and Renslauer.

Princeton, Caltech.

Bahcall is at Princeton, one of the big heads in the field.

Thorne is at Caltech, leader in black hole/wormhole theory.

saiarun said:
I am an Indian doing my Masters in physics in India. I want to know the entrance exams for entering into the university's in abroad. What are the eligibilty? Do we have to publish some paper before?
Thanking you in advance.

r u in IIT by any chance?

It completely depends on the field. Generally larger public institutions have good experimental programs

Ex University of California, Michigan, Virginia, Chicago.

The Ivy Leagues are known for their theory departments, but obviously you can't go wrong.

In general, a smaller college will pick one subfield and specialize in it with several proffessors/postdocs working. So sometimes its the unknown names that have the best subfield programs in the world.

Hi jai6638, I am not an IITian. I want to know whether we have to write G.R.E(general test)
""or"" Advanced G.R.E(subject test) for physics ""or"" both for getting into Ph.D in U.S.A.
Can anyone help me?
Thanking u in advance

Related to World`s best physics Ph.D university

1. What makes a university the "world's best" for a physics Ph.D?

There is no single metric that can determine the "best" university for a physics Ph.D. However, top universities often have renowned faculty, state-of-the-art research facilities, and a strong track record of producing successful and influential graduates.

2. How can I determine if a university's physics Ph.D program is highly ranked?

You can consult various rankings such as the QS World University Rankings, Times Higher Education World University Rankings, or U.S. News & World Report's Best Global Universities for Physics. These rankings take into account factors such as research impact, academic reputation, and employer reputation.

3. Are there any additional factors to consider when choosing a physics Ph.D program?

Yes, you may also want to consider the university's location, the specific research areas and opportunities available, the program's curriculum and structure, and the funding and support offered to graduate students.

4. Can I get into a top physics Ph.D program with a low GPA?

While a strong GPA is generally important for graduate admissions, it is not the only factor considered. Other aspects such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement can also play a significant role in the admissions process.

5. What can I do to increase my chances of getting into a top physics Ph.D program?

To increase your chances, you can focus on building a strong academic record, gaining research experience, networking with professors, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. It may also be helpful to attend conferences and workshops, and to demonstrate your passion and dedication to the field of physics.