World Energy Consumption: Understanding the Differences in Units

In summary, the world produced 20261 TWh of electrical power in 2008 while the world consumed 143,851 TWh (12369 Mtoe). This data is consistent with the values specified in the opening post.
Young Learner
Today I came across a statistical report of world energy consumption. There was a tab named energy generated and the values were given in TWh. There was a tab named Primary energy consumed and the values were given in Mtoe. I saw that the energy generated by the world is around 20000 TWh and the Primary consumption is around 12000 Mtoe.
My questions are:
1. Why is that the Energy generated and the energy consumed are expressed in two different terms?
2. I came to know that 1Mtoe=11.63TWh, the 12000Mtoe=139560TWh. How come the consumption is so high when the generation is only 20000TWh

Engineering news on Phys.org
Would coal and oil be classified under "Energy Generated"?

Does that mean 12000 Mtoe is burned to produce 20000 TWh of energy?

Where would the fuel burnt in motor vehicles be categorized in these statistics?

Do you mean that they have specified the primary fuel consumed which also includes the fuel used for transportation.
That was an electrical energy statistics report

That is my interpretation, though based on scant information. Otherwise, the conclusion is that only 1/7 th of the fuel is converted into electric energy. Maybe they take into account the energy used in mining and transporting the coal, including that as primary consumption?

Last edited:
I was not able to upload the entire file. So, I just cropped it.
Just see whether you'd be able to come to a conclusion from the following data

Attachments

• stats.xls
    27 KB · Views: 205
Wikipedia indicates that world production of electrical power in 2008 was 20,261 TWh while world consumption of energy was 143,851 TWh (12,369 Mtoe). These numbers are consistent with the values specified in the opening post. A better label for that "energy production" tab would have been "electrical power production".

Does this mean that only 1/7 of the world's energy annual consumption is used for the purpose of generating electricity? No. Actually it's about 36%. Power plants aren't 100% efficient; the second law of thermodynamics gets in the way. A good chunk (61%) of the energy consumed in the production of electricity is turned into heat rather than electricity.

Fine, I understand. Just one clarification, Does the consumption of energy includes renewable energies such as hydro and tidal or it is just confined to coal and oil.

Unless the document indicates they excluded some energies, I expect it would be an estimate of energy from all sources.

Thank You all for the instant replies. :)

Since you're interested in the subject, here's a link i enjoyed.
It's from 2007 when world use was about a cubic mile of oil per year. They try to put that in some perspective.

ncmo01_0.gif

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2186

It leads to to other interesting links..

Last edited by a moderator:
Informative thread Jim.

Related to World Energy Consumption: Understanding the Differences in Units

1. What is world energy consumption?

World energy consumption refers to the amount of energy used by all countries and regions in the world. This includes energy used for electricity, transportation, and heating/cooling.

2. Why is understanding the differences in units important?

Understanding the differences in units is important because it allows for accurate comparisons and analysis of energy consumption between different countries and regions. Without a standardized unit of measurement, it would be difficult to accurately assess energy usage on a global scale.

3. What are the most commonly used units for measuring world energy consumption?

The most commonly used units for measuring world energy consumption are kilowatt-hours (kWh), barrels of oil equivalent (BOE), and British thermal units (BTUs). These units measure different forms of energy, such as electricity, oil, and natural gas, respectively.

4. How does energy consumption vary between countries?

Energy consumption varies greatly between countries due to factors such as population size, economic development, and availability of resources. Developed countries tend to have higher energy consumption rates due to their larger populations and higher levels of industrialization.

5. What impact does world energy consumption have on the environment?

The high levels of world energy consumption have a significant impact on the environment, contributing to issues such as air pollution, climate change, and depletion of natural resources. It is important for countries to transition to more sustainable and renewable sources of energy to mitigate these effects.