Works with coefficient of friction

In summary, to push a 1000 kg car up 45.0 meters up a 12.5 degree incline, ignoring friction and assuming a coefficient of friction of 0.30, the minimum work needed is 9.5 X 10^4 J. This can be found by using the formula W = (m*g)(d)cosθ. To calculate the work done by friction, the normal force must be determined at the angle θ and then multiplied by the displacement. Alternatively, the work done can also be found by calculating the potential energy at the bottom and top of the incline using the formula PE = mgh.
Echoeric666
What is the minimum work needed to push a 1000 kg car up 45.0 meters up a 12.5 [tex]\circ[/tex] degree incline?
a. Ignore Friction
b. Assume the effective coefficient of friction is 0.30.

Work: W = (F*d)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
Coefficient of friction: W = [tex]\mu[/tex]N(d)

What I did: W = (m*g)(d)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]. (1000kg)(9.8m / s^2)(45.0m)cos(102.5)
= -95449.9 J = 9.5 X 10^4 J work done to push the car up.

Then, the work friction is doing to car:
W = 0.30(1000kg*sin(12.5)*9.8 m/s^2)(45m)? This is where I get stuck because I know work done by friction on ramp is [tex]\mu[/tex]*normal force*displacement...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Echoeric666 said:
What I did: W = (m*g)(d)cos[tex]\theta[/tex]. (1000kg)(9.8m / s^2)(45.0m)cos(102.5)
= -95449.9 J = 9.5 X 10^4 J work done to push the car up.

The vertical distance the car must move is not 45cosθ. Recheck this component. When you get the vertical height 'h', it just becomes W=mgh

Echoeric666 said:
Then, the work friction is doing to car:
W = 0.30(1000kg*sin(12.5)*9.8 m/s^2)(45m)? This is where I get stuck because I know work done by friction on ramp is [tex]\mu[/tex]*normal force*displacement...

What is the normal force at the angle θ ?

Sorry, I meant 45 meters up as displacement. So I used that displacement in W = (F*d)cos[tex]\theta[/tex] as shown in post.

Also...you're saying if I find the height, I can use mgh to find works? (That potential energy is equal to work)?

Echoeric666 said:
Sorry, I meant 45 meters up as displacement. So I used that displacement in W = (F*d)cos[tex]\theta[/tex] as shown in post.

Also...you're saying if I find the height, I can use mgh to find works? (That potential energy is equal to work)?

Yes since at the bottom there is only PE and at the top there will be only PE (since the mass will not be moving then), hence the change in PE will be the same as the work done. (This is because work done in a gravitational field in independent of path)

Last edited:

To calculate the minimum work needed to push the car up the incline, we need to consider both the work done against gravity and the work done against friction. The answer will differ depending on whether we ignore friction (a) or assume a coefficient of friction (b). Let's look at both scenarios:

a. Ignore Friction:
If we ignore friction, the minimum work needed to push the car up the incline is simply the work done against gravity. Using the equation W = mgh, where m is the mass of the car, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline, we get:
W = (1000 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(45.0 m)cos(12.5°) = 430,974 J

b. Assume a coefficient of friction:
If we assume a coefficient of friction of 0.30, we need to take into account the work done against friction in addition to the work done against gravity. The equation for this would be:
W = (m*g)(d)cos\theta + \muN(d)
We already have the first part of the equation from part (a), so we just need to calculate the work done by friction. Using the equation W = \muN(d), where \mu is the coefficient of friction, N is the normal force (equal to the weight of the car in this case), and d is the displacement along the incline, we get:
W = 0.30(1000 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(45.0 m)sin(12.5°) = 12,411 J
Therefore, the minimum work needed to push the car up the incline with a coefficient of friction of 0.30 is:
W = 430,974 J + 12,411 J = 443,385 J

Related to Works with coefficient of friction

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they come into contact with each other. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is a unitless value.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This can be done using a formula or by conducting experiments.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be influenced by various factors such as the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of lubricants or contaminants.

Why is the coefficient of friction important in engineering and design?

The coefficient of friction is crucial in engineering and design as it helps determine the amount of force needed to move an object, the stability of structures, and the efficiency of machines. It is also used to predict and prevent potential accidents or failures.

How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, polishing or smoothing surfaces, and using materials with lower coefficients of friction. Additionally, increasing the surface area of contact between two objects can also decrease the coefficient of friction.