Working with Maxwell's equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of (δT/δV)s and -(δP/δS)v using the equations given. The final result is (δT/δV)s = - (δP/δS)v. The conversation also mentions confusion with notation and substitution.
AndrewBworth
Hello all - I've been trying to work out an example from a book, and I don't quite understand the math.

show that (δT/δV)s = - (δP/δS)v

solution (δ/δV (δU(S,V)/δS)v)s = (δ/δS(δU(S,V)/δV)s)v
(δ/δV (δ(TdS - PdV)/δS)v)s = (δ/δS(δ(TdS-PdV)/δV)s)v
(δT/δV)s = -(δP/δS)v

I don't understand the substitution or the last step

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't understand the notation. The way I learned it is as follows:

##dU=TdS-PdV##

We must also have that:

$$dU = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial S}\right)_VdS+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_SdV$$

Therefore, comparing both equations, we have:

$$T=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial S}\right)_V$$
$$-P=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_S$$

Right I don't understand it either they've inserted the differential expression into a partial fraction I don't know how to work with it.

AndrewBworth said:
Right I don't understand it either they've inserted the differential expression into a partial fraction I don't know how to work with it.
So their notation in hinky. Can you get to the final result from my last two equations?

Chet

Sure no sweat.

Ah I figured it out

Related to Working with Maxwell's equations

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are essential to understanding electromagnetism.

2. How are Maxwell's equations used in science?

Maxwell's equations are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including engineering, physics, and chemistry. They are particularly important in the study of electricity and magnetism, and they have also played a crucial role in the development of technologies such as radio, television, and radar.

3. What is the significance of Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are significant because they provide a unified description of the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They also led to the prediction of the existence of electromagnetic waves, which are responsible for phenomena such as light, radio waves, and X-rays.

4. How are Maxwell's equations derived?

Maxwell's equations were derived by combining the laws of electricity and magnetism, known as Coulomb's law and Ampere's law, with the concept of displacement current. This led to the development of the full set of four equations that we know today.

5. Are Maxwell's equations still relevant today?

Yes, Maxwell's equations are still highly relevant in modern science and technology. They have been extensively tested and used to make accurate predictions about the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They are also the basis for many advanced technologies, such as wireless communication and medical imaging techniques.