Working in Physics Research/Industry w/o a PhD (UK)

In summary, an undergraduate with a BSc in Theoretical and Computational Physics can potentially do an extra year as an undergraduate and come out with an MSci/MPhys degree, but this would mean graduating when they are 32 or 33 which is too old for some families. If the undergraduate only wants to do a PhD, there are many jobs around that are suitable for someone with just a BSc.
FaraDazed
I live in the UK and I am an undergraduate at the moment, due to graduate in 2017 with a BSc in Theoretical and Computational Physics.

I have the option at the end of the next academic year to do an extra year as an undergraduate and come out with an MSci/MPhys (instead of the BSc) . I am already 26, and would be 28 when I graduate in 2017, or would be 29 if I chose to do that extra year.

I really would like to do a PhD, but that would mean graduating with a PhD when I turn 32/33! So the only thing making me think otherwise is simply how old I would be.

If I chose to just graduate in 2017 with a BSc, are there many jobs around actually in the physics research/industry for people with just a BSc? Anything really where I would actually get to use my degree, even if it was like a technician or even something like a patent attorney etc, but actually doing/helping with science?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it is only your age that is of concern and you do not feel or need to provide for a family, why not test the employment waters with some applications, but also apply to stay in school so if you do not get a premium job offer, you continue your education?

Likes atyy
Dr. Courtney said:
If it is only your age that is of concern and you do not feel or need to provide for a family, why not test the employment waters with some applications, but also apply to stay in school so if you do not get a premium job offer, you continue your education?

Thanks, yeah I think at the moment I will apply for PhD places no matter what, as it will not hurt and can always decline if needs be. I have just been looking into part-time PhD opportunities, althought not sure if I could get funding for that; in the UK, many graduate get their science PhD places fully paid for with a healthy tax free stipend too which is more than enough to live on.

Why would I not be able to provide for a family without a PhD? OK maybe any salary I would receive would be slightly higher but before I went back into education I was earning a measly £13000 per year, and with my physics degree I have seen many graduate schemes (although most not directly to do with physics) where the starting salary is double that ~£25000. Plus many people are able to provide for their families on much less than that. I know growing up my families household income was only ~£22000 and that was with two siblings, and we turned out OK :)

Related to Working in Physics Research/Industry w/o a PhD (UK)

1. What career opportunities are available in physics research/industry without a PhD in the UK?

As a non-PhD physicist in the UK, you can still pursue a variety of careers in both research and industry. Some options include working as a research assistant, laboratory technician, data analyst, or technical writer. Additionally, many companies in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology hire non-PhD physicists for roles in research and development, quality control, and product design.

2. What skills are necessary to succeed in physics research/industry without a PhD?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential in physics research and industry, regardless of whether you have a PhD or not. Other important skills include attention to detail, the ability to work independently and in a team, and effective communication skills. Familiarity with computer programming, data analysis software, and laboratory equipment are also valuable skills to have.

3. How can I gain relevant experience in physics research/industry without a PhD?

There are several ways to gain experience in physics research and industry without a PhD. You can look for internships or co-op positions during your undergraduate or postgraduate studies, volunteer at a research facility or laboratory, or participate in research projects through professional societies or organizations. Additionally, many companies offer entry-level positions for non-PhD physicists, which can provide valuable on-the-job training and experience.

4. Are there any limitations to career advancement without a PhD in physics research/industry?

While a PhD can open up more opportunities in terms of research and leadership roles, there are still plenty of opportunities for career advancement without one. Many successful physicists in research and industry have advanced to higher positions without a PhD, based on their skills, experience, and dedication. Pursuing additional education and certifications can also help with career advancement.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in physics research/industry without a PhD?

There are many ways to stay informed about the latest developments in physics research and industry without a PhD. You can attend conferences, seminars, and workshops, read scientific journals and publications, and join professional societies or organizations to network with other physicists. Additionally, following reputable online sources and staying connected with colleagues and mentors can help you stay up-to-date on the latest advancements in the field.