Working for X through staffing agency Y: How to put on resume?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resume
In summary, when listing employment through a staffing agency on your resume, it is important to accurately reflect the employer that paid you. While it may be tempting to simply list the end client (in this case, Amazon), it is necessary to list the staffing agency as the employer. This ensures that your resume is consistent with your verifiable employment history and increases your chances of getting hired. It is also recommended to list the supervisor from the end client as a contact for the job, as they will have a better understanding of your job performance.
Jamin2112
Suppose you're working for Amazon through a tech staffing agency. How do you put that on your resume?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make it simple. You worked at Amazon. Put that entry on your resume. Interviewer won't care who paid you. Tell them the truth if asked, but unlikely anybody will.

tygerdawg said:
Make it simple. You worked at Amazon. Put that entry on your resume. Interviewer won't care who paid you. Tell them the truth if asked, but unlikely anybody will.
This is bad advice. If the paycheck comes from XYZ Staffing Agency rather than Amazon, the employer had better be listed as XYZ Staffing Agency rather than Amazon. The employers listed on a resume *must* match the candidate's verifiable employment history. You might make it past the interview if you list the employer as Amazon, but you probably won't get hired because of the mismatch between the resume and the employment history.

I'd put:

Widget Shipper, Amazon (through Agency X)

Then list your Amazon supervisor as a contact for that job, since the folks at Agency X don't know the particulars of your job performance.

When listing your work experience on your resume, it is important to accurately represent the company you are working for and the role you are fulfilling. In this case, you would list the staffing agency, Y, as your employer and specify that you are currently on assignment at Amazon. This can be done by including a bullet point under your job title that states "Contracted through staffing agency Y to fulfill role at Amazon." Additionally, you can mention any specific projects or tasks you have worked on at Amazon under your job responsibilities to highlight your experience at the company. It is important to be transparent and honest about your employment situation on your resume.

Related to Working for X through staffing agency Y: How to put on resume?

1. What is the best way to list a staffing agency on my resume?

When listing a staffing agency on your resume, it is important to include the name of the agency, your job title, and the dates you worked there. You can also include any notable projects or skills you gained while working for the agency. It is recommended to list the staffing agency as a separate position under your work experience section.

2. Should I include the name of the company I worked for through the staffing agency on my resume?

Yes, it is important to include the name of the company you worked for, even if it was through a staffing agency. This helps hiring managers understand the type of experience and industry you have worked in.

3. How do I highlight my experience with a specific company when it was through a staffing agency?

You can highlight your experience with a specific company by including specific projects or tasks you worked on while at that company. You can also mention any achievements or skills you gained while working for that company through the staffing agency.

4. Should I mention the staffing agency in my cover letter?

Yes, it can be beneficial to mention the staffing agency in your cover letter, especially if the job posting specifically mentions the agency. This shows that you have experience working with staffing agencies and are familiar with the process.

5. How can I make my experience with a staffing agency stand out on my resume?

To make your experience with a staffing agency stand out on your resume, you can include any unique or transferable skills you gained while working for the agency. You can also highlight any successful projects or accomplishments that you achieved while on assignment through the staffing agency.